A2A missiles are completely useless now - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Oh! this is such a lame way to die! this is so NOT cool
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-12, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

A2A missiles are completely useless now

Not sure if this is a bug or the nerf was so heavy handed that it rendered them pointless, but the fact that nobody uses them anymore is evidence enough to suggest that there is a problem. What I'm seeing is that they now require you to be directly behind the enemy aircraft, within 20 or so meters, have the fighter dead center of the reticle, and wait 5-10 seconds for the lock to turn green. Since the nerf I've had more success dumb firing them at other aircraft, and I'm seeing more and more people using the A2G rockets in A2A combat as there is no reload timer between individual rockets.

Unfortunately this also renders the flairs cert useless as the only other lock on weapon, the HA AA rockets are also completely useless against fighters.
Old 2012-09-12, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Re: A2A missiles are completely useless now

honestly no I just got shot down by a mossie with A2A less than 5 mins ago

What it requires and why not many are using them now is actual Skill.

they are no longer fire and forget easy mode.. so everyone left them because most of the users of them were scrubs like most other stuff in game that get's abused.

You have to show some skill and earn your kill.. no longer just lock on from 800m away and fire and it's a easy kill.
Old 2012-09-12, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Syphus
Staff Sergeant

I've definitely still had A2A missiles shot at me, I definitely have used my flares.

And anyone in a fighter who gets hit by A2G missiles deserves to be shot down anyway.
Old 2012-09-12, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

That's good, lock on weaponry should be terrible.
Old 2012-09-12, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
, within 20 or so meters, have the fighter dead center of the reticle, and wait 5-10 seconds for the lock to turn green.
I never used A2A heat seeking missiles before. But are those numbers right or an exaggeration? 20 meters sounds very close. I would have bought 50 meters.

Compared to the heat seeking missiles that HA use on Vehicles that can go over 150 meters maybe over 200 meters. It's quite short with 20m.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-09-12 at 09:40 PM.
Old 2012-09-12, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Top Sgt View Post
honestly no I just got shot down by a mossie with A2A less than 5 mins ago

What it requires and why not many are using them now is actual Skill.

they are no longer fire and forget easy mode.. so everyone left them because most of the users of them were scrubs like most other stuff in game that get's abused.

You have to show some skill and earn your kill.. no longer just lock on from 800m away and fire and it's a easy kill.
TNot arguing that they weren't overpowered before, but making them less effective than the default gun does not mean they are now skill weapons . I have not been shot down by them once since the patch went into effect. I have made an effort to test how the new mechanic works, and concluded that in each case where I was able to achieve a lock and fire a single missile I could have easily destroyed the enemy plain with the main gun in the time it took for the lock on timers to run down.

Also, while they may have been over powered before, they did promote good positional flying and required skill to avoid. With the main guns now the only viable A2A weapon, dog fighting has degraded back into its previous state of circle flying and turreting which is the skill equivalent of tick tack toe.
Old 2012-09-12, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
TestyVenom
Private

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with the OP. They are far from useless and are still decently powerful. It's not underpowered just because it takes more than 1 or 2 missiles to kill aircraft.
Old 2012-09-12, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
I never used A2A heat seeking missiles before. But are those numbers right or an exaggeration? 20 meters sounds very close. I would have bought 50 meters.

Compared to the heat seeking missiles that HA use on Vehicles that can go over 150 meters maybe over 200 meters. It's quite short with 20m.
The shoulder fired stuff has a much longer range than the current A2A stuff. I am estimating around 20 meters, though it's somewhat difficult to judge spacial relationships in this game.
Old 2012-09-12, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by TestyVenom View Post
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with the OP. They are far from useless and are still decently powerful. It's not underpowered just because it takes more than 1 or 2 missiles to kill aircraft.
I never made that point.
Old 2012-09-12, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sunrock
Major

The shoulder fired stuff has a much longer range than the current A2A stuff. I am estimating around 20 meters, though it's somewhat difficult to judge spacial relationships in this game.
Push Left Alt + T and you get a distance meter on your screen. It will tell you how far something is to that you are aiming at. Works even on buildings.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-09-12 at 10:23 PM.
Old 2012-09-12, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Why I believe there may be a bug contributing to this is that there have been instances where I have been flying directly behind oblivious enemy fighters in a level flight chase with the reticle placed dead center on their cross section and the lock would fail to appear even after 10+ seconds. If anyone is interested in testing this out with me on a lower pop server, I can take a few videos with fraps to show what I'm talking about.
Old 2012-09-12, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Push Left Alt + V and you get a distance meter on your screen. It will tell you how far something is to that you are aiming at. Works even on buildings.
Thanks, had no idea that feature was in the game.
Old 2012-09-12, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sunrock
Major

Thanks, had no idea that feature was in the game.
OOPS sorry I remember wrong. Its Alt + T not V
Old 2012-09-12, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Op i am not attacking you personally just saying in general. they were easy mode before and now they still work but a pilot must work ALOT harder to get the kill with them now.. it's balanced.

if yours is taking tha tlong as you say to lock on and distances then something is bugged with your plane/system.

I still have a2a unlocked for my mossie and my scythe and it does not require the times or distance your explaining.. but it is alot harder than it was 2 weeks ago when it was so easy and cheezy.

most of us use A2G anyways and the front cannon is enough in a dogfight to out skill your opponent.
Old 2012-09-13, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
typhaon
Sergeant Major

C'mon... they absolutely are not balanced right now.

Not only is the range very reduced... you've got to shoot at least 4 (assuming the target remember to press G and launch a flare) of the friggin' things to take down a basic fighter.

If you can stay in range of someone long enough to shoot 4 A2A missles - you could've shot them down at least twice with guns.

Sure - they were OP, but they haven't been tuned... just effectively disabled for the moment.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion