PSU: Too many Vanu on the dance floor
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-11-12, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
TehCandyMan
Private

Building my first computer...

Title pretty much says it all guys, I have been spending all weekend looking for deals/bundles/barebones etc...

Sadly I am on a budget since PS2 came out a little early on me grrrrr..

Anyways here is what I came up with, which will cost me a affordable $651.00. This will be my first attempt at building a computer, so if you guys see some parts that probably won't be compatible please let me know. I am alittle concerned with the board being a PCI Express 3.0 slot but my card is a 2.0, I was going to go for a cheaper GTX 650 (which is 3.0) instead but read that the GTX 560 TI out performs it. Does anyone know if my performance will suffer on the 560 since it is PCI 2.0? Any and all Critique or help would be appreciated guys, thanks!

Case : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147153
Cpu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504
Motherboard : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157325
Memory : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145345
Power Supply : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371044
Video Card : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130604
HD : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136769
DVD/CD : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106289
Mouse : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826146009
Monitor : I have already
Keyboard : I have already

Last edited by TehCandyMan; 2012-11-12 at 09:10 AM.
Old 2012-11-12, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Building my first computer...

Everything looks fine for the most part, but the GPU is a bad choice. Last gen and overpriced.

The 7850, 7870, and 660 all outperform that 560 Ti for a similar price point. Personally I would go with the 7870 as it trades blows with the 660 Ti in terms of performance for way less.

PCI-e isn't going to be a issue either. 3.0 vs 2.0 doesn't do anything in terms of increased performance for video cards.

How sure are you that you are going to be overclocking?

Last edited by Goku; 2012-11-12 at 09:20 AM.
Old 2012-11-12, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
TehCandyMan
Private

Thanks for the info on the PCI-e issue Goku, I did some reading on it but I didn't really get any answers lol.

Man I would love to get that 660 or maybe even that 7870 but they are all over 200 and I kinda would like to stay in budget for now. Got bills and all and X-mas is around the corner lol.

I will be getting the 560 for 149.00 brand new, kinda of thought that was a deal. It was either that one or this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130828 but the 560 beat the 650 out in a few benchmark and fps results.

As far as Overclocking, that's why I went with this board. But I am a begginer so I probably won't be doing it right away.
Old 2012-11-12, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Why is the 560 linked in your OP $210? Thats not $150 unless you just wanted to show the card.

There will likely be sales coming up on the 7800 series with xmas coming along I would highly recommend trying to snatch one of those. The 560 Ti isn't a bad card, but it is starting to show its age, especially at 1920x1080.
Old 2012-11-12, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
TehCandyMan
Private

Yeah that's not the one I will be buying this weekend, alot of my componets will be bought from various sales I have seen online or at stores.

I will be looking to upgrade the my Video card as soon as I can. I just need something that will be able to play the game on the 20th.

I have read on the these forums and others that ATI cards do not perform as good as Nvidia in PS, is this true?

I will have to read your response later, I am about to pass out lol. Thank you for your help Goku
Old 2012-11-12, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Nope that isn't true IMO. My 7950 with my 3570K runs the game without any issues on high settings.

Do you have any Micro Centers around you? You can get a 3570K for $169.99 and $40 off a mobo combo. Its quite a good deal. That can save you some cash right there. If you do we can figure out another mobo.

There is other places to save as well.

The PSU @ 650W is too much for your build as it will never come close to that. This 520W unit by Antec will serve your needs perfectly, while being a lot cheaper. There is a $15 coupon also for the next 24 hours if you can order this now to save more $$$. This PSU runs my overclocked 7950 and 2500K without any issues.

You can save some money on the ram by getting this set. Unless you are OCD about the heatsink look on those.

There is a 7850 1GB for $175. This comes with a $20 MIR making it $155 if you send it in. Plus with Far Cry 3 if you don't want it you can sell it on ebay and get $20-$35 making the card even cheaper.

If you are thinking about getting a better VGA say within the next month you can always "rent" one from Best Buy. I think you have like 30 days to return the card no questions asked. Pretty sure you could find one in between now and then. Yes I have done this once or twice, but I do buy stuff from their often to make up for it...

Last edited by Goku; 2012-11-12 at 11:06 AM.
Old 2012-11-12, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
TehCandyMan
Private

Wow thank you this is some very good info.

Yeah I saw that $169 at Micro, that's where I was going today to get my CPU. But I had no ideo about 40 off on a motherboard... Is it listed on the site somewhere?

That is a good deal on the Power Supply but the one I'm looking at is on sale at Frye for $49 dollars, And I figured I might need the extra watts incase I add some more fans.

Im not going to lie, I do like the Ram I picked out lol, plus its 1600. I know it's not much more of a difference but the blue also goes with my Case blue fan setup.

Im all over that 7850 you just linked! Thank you Sir!

I had no clue you could rent vid card's from best buy, no clue... I might have to check that out as well.

Thank you so much for your help man!
Old 2012-11-12, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Its any Z77 mobo.

Should of listed the prices of what you were getting. It threw me off is all. I thought everything was coming from Newegg, since that is were everything was linked.

Thats fine. I tend to do the same within reason.

Glad you hopped on the 7850.

Not rent per say. You buy it and just return it within 30 days or whatever the period is...lol
Old 2012-11-12, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vancha
Colonel

I'd invest in a CM Storm Spawn, Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0, Zowie AM/EC1 Evo, Razer Deathadder or Logitech G400 instead of cheaping out on the mouse.

Also, consider this RAM instead. It's actually the same blue as the RAM you've picked, but without the silly heatspreader (which does nothing).
Old 2012-11-14, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
TehCandyMan
Private

Originally Posted by Goku View Post

Not rent per say. You buy it and just return it within 30 days or whatever the period is...lol
Lol

@ Vancha I will take a look at those mice and ram, thank you for the advice.

Also to anyone who can answer this. I looked up my my Motherboard on the AsRock web site. And could not find my Ram under the "Memory supported" section.. My question is how important is it to get RAM that is actually listed as being supported?
Old 2012-11-14, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Memory should be all set. The only reason it won't work if its damaged on arrival

I hear great things about the G400 too.
Old 2012-11-15, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bags
Lieutenant General

Really goku? I still get like 40 fps in medium fights on high with my 670.
Old 2012-11-15, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Really goku? I still get like 40 fps in medium fights on high with my 670.
?

I never said this would max the game out. I think my performance has been better than that with my 7950 too.
Old 2012-11-15, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
TehCandyMan
Private

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Memory should be all set. The only reason it won't work if its damaged on arrival

I hear great things about the G400 too.

OK thanks Goku, I was alittle worried about that.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum