Any point in subscribing? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: COMMENCE THE JIGGLING!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-12-25, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Any point in subscribing?

I've never played PS1 but I am a big proponent of making it free to play or at the very least reducing the subscription cost. I am on winter break and was wondering if you think it would be worth buying a sub? If only to explore and see how the game mechanics work compared to ps2. Would it be worth it or should I not even bother?
Old 2012-12-25, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Re: Any point in subscribing?

If smed's propaganda is to believed, literally nobody is online. It may be worth it to you to log in, explore the world and how things are different, but there won't be any of the epic battles of old going on. That is something only you can decide for yourself, but there are damn good reasons people loved the game. you could check out the vehicles and stuff in the vr rooms and cert a mossy, fly around and explore, maybe cert a buggy or atv and go cliff jumping for fun, hotdrop from a mossy on a tower or whatever.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-12-25 at 09:10 AM.
Old 2012-12-25, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Smed is partially right. You might get 10 guys if you are really really lucky, five guys standard maybe during prime time weekend times. What do they expect? Hype up a sequel and keep the original at $15 just to *try* the game.
Old 2012-12-26, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Okay I've decided that I want to subscribe but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. I downloaded the launcher, sign in with my station account name, and then it says I need a subscription. It gives me a link to do that but there is no mention of Planetside 1 on the page. Do I have to buy the actual game first? So I have to pay for the box+subscription? If so that is pretty ridiculous and I am not doing it.

Edit: turns out the box is 20 dollars and it comes with a free month so I went ahead and bought it. Downloading as we speak

Last edited by CrazEpharmacist; 2012-12-26 at 10:32 AM.
Old 2012-12-26, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by CrazEpharmacist View Post
Okay I've decided that I want to subscribe but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. I downloaded the launcher, sign in with my station account name, and then it says I need a subscription. It gives me a link to do that but there is no mention of Planetside 1 on the page. Do I have to buy the actual game first? So I have to pay for the box+subscription? If so that is pretty ridiculous and I am not doing it.

Edit: turns out the box is 20 dollars and it comes with a free month so I went ahead and bought it. Downloading as we speak
I'd be interested in knowing your opinion of the game given your first exposure to ps was ps2.

Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-12-26, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Well let me preface this by saying I don't understand a lot of the things in PlanetSide 1 and I'm sure I won't until it goes F2P as I will be able to learn from others as I play. My first impression is that everything seems extremely polished. Animations+third person are amazing and very missed coming from PlanetSide2. The textures and detail on characters are amazing and in my opinion better than the sequel(on low settings). My experience thus far is that I made an NC character and traveled to Esamir through the warpgate in a buggy. I met up with two other people and we formed a squad. We captured an outlying tower and set up defenses there. A VS kept harassing us with a mossy so we stayed in our turrets for quite a bit. Mossy's seem very strong compared to PS2. He was able to pick me off as a ground soldier fairly quick. We then proceeded to hack the main base but the sole vs became a max and destroyed us with ease. My squad-mate said we needed decimators to kill him or we had no chance. I logged off shortly after as we weren't able to kill him with just the three of us. I am playing again right now and there seems to be no-one on Amerish so I am just hacking bases unopposed currently.

Shooting mechanics seem fine but will take a bit to get used to. I don't like the fact that zooming in is set to the scroll wheel by default. I tried changing it to right click but you can only set it to either zoom in or out with it, not both?

With that said, this game seems leaps and bounds more complex than PlanetSide2. I am sensing that I could be playing this game for months and still be learning something new each play session.

Also, it seems that each time I spawn I have to go to an equipment terminal to equip my armor and weapons? Are load-outs not saved?
Old 2012-12-26, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
duomaxwl
Captain

You can save loadouts as favorites at the equipment terminals.
I hope PS1 goes F2P eventually. I want a nostalgia punch to the face.
Old 2012-12-27, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

If you can find someone else in-game you should try out this silly bug I found a couple of years back. Go to the VR training for vehicles, have your friend pull something like a sunderer. Now, make sure he doesn't move his vehicle at all as you spawn an AMS.

The AMS should clip through the Sunderer and be 'inside' it. When it is like this, deploy the AMS. It should cause whatever vehicle it is 'inside' of to launch into the air

Also, ramming two ATVs at each other from top speed should cause the ATVs to bug out and lunch in to the sky.
Old 2012-12-27, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
duomaxwl
Captain

Originally Posted by RykerStruvian View Post

Also, ramming two ATVs at each other from top speed should cause the ATVs to bug out and lunch in to the sky.
That's some good shit, can confirm.
Old 2012-12-27, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
RedPower
Corporal

Planetside2 is not planetside at all
PS1 >>> PS2
Old 2012-12-27, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by duomaxwl View Post
That's some good shit, can confirm.
http://youtu.be/_id2mK0fk_0
"Think of it as a game of chicken except you WANT to hit each other" - Me

I miss those shenanigans with you all.

The vs in there were all like 'What the fuck?'

Old 2012-12-27, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by CrazEpharmacist View Post
Well let me preface this by saying I don't understand a lot of the things in PlanetSide 1 and I'm sure I won't until it goes F2P as I will be able to learn from others as I play. My first impression is that everything seems extremely polished. Animations+third person are amazing and very missed coming from PlanetSide2. The textures and detail on characters are amazing and in my opinion better than the sequel(on low settings). My experience thus far is that I made an NC character and traveled to Esamir through the warpgate in a buggy. I met up with two other people and we formed a squad. We captured an outlying tower and set up defenses there. A VS kept harassing us with a mossy so we stayed in our turrets for quite a bit. Mossy's seem very strong compared to PS2. He was able to pick me off as a ground soldier fairly quick. We then proceeded to hack the main base but the sole vs became a max and destroyed us with ease. My squad-mate said we needed decimators to kill him or we had no chance. I logged off shortly after as we weren't able to kill him with just the three of us. I am playing again right now and there seems to be no-one on Amerish so I am just hacking bases unopposed currently.

Shooting mechanics seem fine but will take a bit to get used to. I don't like the fact that zooming in is set to the scroll wheel by default. I tried changing it to right click but you can only set it to either zoom in or out with it, not both?

With that said, this game seems leaps and bounds more complex than PlanetSide2. I am sensing that I could be playing this game for months and still be learning something new each play session.

Also, it seems that each time I spawn I have to go to an equipment terminal to equip my armor and weapons? Are load-outs not saved?
It truly is more complex. It's a mash up of all genres if you ask me. Its mostly FPS, but the added RPG and RTS elements really make the game unique.

Its a shame you can't see it when there are big fights going on. That is why we need SOE to offer it at a lower charge and put reserves back.
Old 2012-12-28, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
armedacorn
Private

All this talk of F2P has me wanting to resubscribe... Since it seems lack of pop is what's detering them...
Old 2012-12-28, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by armedacorn View Post
All this talk of F2P has me wanting to resubscribe... Since it seems lack of pop is what's detering them...
Do it!!!! If we all sub just for one month maybe we can get some semi-large battles going on. Will show SOE people are still interested.
Old 2012-12-28, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
armedacorn
Private

I can't seem to re-subscribe... I only either get 1 $20 station pass option or PS1 is not an easy resub.. Anyone know how to resub/new-sub easily???
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion