Smedly emailed me back! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you are going through hell, keep going.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-12-29, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Smedly emailed me back!

"I said we're going to do it and we will. We are in no rush on it. There are 25 or 30 people playing the game right now. We are putting our resources where they belong."

-John Smedly

This is amazing news. What do you think? (I emailed him when or even if PlanetSide 1 will go F2P. I also linked him MasterChiefs petition. That was his response)

Last edited by CrazEpharmacist; 2012-12-29 at 05:57 PM.
Old 2012-12-29, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
gunshooter
Corporal

Re: Smedly emailed me back!

Good to hear that it will happen eventually but man he's a dick.
Old 2012-12-29, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Nice man! I'll email him and ask him if it would be possible for him to just flag all veteran accounts for like 2 months of free access as a "test" while they work on PS2 or something.

No *new* accounts can be made for free, and there would only be an email sent to PS vets, so that there would be no threat of PS1 somehow detracting from PS2's playerbase.
Old 2012-12-29, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

How did you acquire his email?
Old 2012-12-29, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Atheosim
Captain

I personally wouldn't be throwing any stupid ideas at him; I'm sure he's very busy. Take the email that he sent to CrazE as an ultimatum for the community.
Old 2012-12-29, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
RedPower
Corporal

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
Nice man! I'll email him and ask him if it would be possible for him to just flag all veteran accounts for like 2 months of free access as a "test" while they work on PS2 or something. No *new* accounts can be made for free, and there would only be an email sent to PS vets, so that there would be no threat of PS1 somehow detracting from PS2's playerbase.
bad idea,we need new blood
Old 2012-12-29, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by RedPower View Post
bad idea,we need new blood
I'd argue that, but really, SOE is probably finicky about opening up PS1 in a public manner to everyone. Letting all the vets get back in to slam each other around in a quiet, controlled manner while SOE works on PS2 without really caring so much for PS1 for awhile would probably suit them better.
Old 2012-12-29, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by gunshooter View Post
Good to hear that it will happen eventually but man he's a dick.
If he was a dick he never would have responded. Smed posts his e-mail on Twitter all the time.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-12-30, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
If he was a dick he never would have responded.
The fact that he won't take few minutes of his, or get someone else to take a few minutes of their time to make a decision that would make a loyal fanbase of his happy makes him a dick.

I really don't see any reason as to WHY they can't make it F2P right now seeing how they've given away free months of PS in the past on the whim. What's honestly keeping them from making PS1 go free to play right now? And don't feed me the "they're busy with ps2 xD" garbage. This would take literally no time.

Yes, I'm mad.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-12-30, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
RedPower
Corporal

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
The fact that he won't take few minutes of his, or get someone else to take a few minutes of their time to make a decision that would make a loyal fanbase of his happy makes him a dick.I really don't see any reason as to WHY they can't make it F2P right now seeing how they've given away free months of PS in the past on the whim. What's honestly keeping them from making PS1 go free to play right now? And don't feed me the "they're busy with ps2 xD" garbage. This would take literally no time.Yes, I'm mad.
PS1 >>> PS2
They fear that PS2 will die quickly if PS1 F2P XD
Old 2012-12-30, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

No shit, a sub-based game from 2003 where it's a journey in itself to even get a sub for (infact without paypal i don't know IF i could even get a sub here in germany) has only 30 ppl on... that "nobody is playing it" argument is such a joke.

Unfortunately i have to go with RedPower here, currently it kinda smells like fear there
(or they really have some complicated plans for F2P Planetside that would require more then simply enabling the Reserve program without a BR limit again).

But telling me "we're in no hurry because nobody plays PS1" when the reason nobody plays PS1 is exactly the limitation they want to lift feels like smed is making fun of us.
Old 2012-12-30, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
No shit, a sub-based game from 2003 where it's a journey in itself to even get a sub for (infact without paypal i don't know IF i could even get a sub here in germany) has only 30 ppl on... that "nobody is playing it" argument is such a joke.

Unfortunately i have to go with RedPower here, currently it kinda smells like fear there
(or they really have some complicated plans for F2P Planetside that would require more then simply enabling the Reserve program without a BR limit again).

But telling me "we're in no hurry because nobody plays PS1" when the reason nobody plays PS1 is exactly the limitation they want to lift feels like smed is making fun of us.
Agreed. The reason I'm so mad is simply because it's a completely bogus excuse.

He's flat out lying about it and that's insulting. Be real with your fanbase. People appreciate it more when you're honest with them rather than when you try and sugar coat everything. Not that this is sugar coating by any means.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-12-30, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

They should give all existing PS accounts like four months of free play time to quiet us down. After the four months the game should be five bucks a month. No new accounts can be made for PS1 (unless they are willing to pay $15) until after that four months.

Four months should be enough time for them to figure out how they want to milk more money out of the game. On PlanetSide's May anniversary day they should roll out the F2P platform, whether that's reserves and $5 a month, a single $5 purchase, or whatever.

For now though, to content us, they should give us all some free months. There's really no reason not to. They can keep it quiet by letting people know via email.
Old 2012-12-30, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
You never heard of Global Collect? It's simply a bank withdrawl permission you give to SOE to take out money straight from your bank account once every period...

I've paid through that for years. Never had issues. But hey, maybe we old timers still just know how banks work.

Nah, it smells like limited resource prioritisation.

It depends how they look at it. They look at the current playerbase and extrapolate from there. We look at the non-playerbase and extrapolate from there...

Tbh, they could simply lower the sub costs, extend the subs of the few dozen active players according to their last paid cost and see what happens then. That shouldn't take more than a week to change, one press release and mass email, doesn't even need much fancy bells. Due to all the PS2 coverage, the news would actually be spread quite quickly.
Old 2012-12-31, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Uh, YOU "old timer"? How old do you think I am? Usually people who feel the need to point out that they are "old" barely scratched the 30 mark.

You are right with the banking, i never liked involving my bank account in gaming subscriptions though. Call me weird, but for small purchases like a month of PS1 i prefer the mobile payment method despite the fact it costs more. I like my bank data to be kept out of the net (might just be an "oldtimer thing" *cough*), hehe.
The main problem with subscribing i had was more to actually find the game and a way to buy a subscription (it doesn't even show up in the games list). I eventually made it though, so all good.

You also mention limited resources as the reason for soe not doing anything with PS1 to revive it, but in the next paragraph you point out how easy and quick it could be made more accessible. Even more easy then your idea, simply turning the reserve program back on would be a good start. And i am fairly certain the resources over at sony aren't so limited that they can't do that without other projects suffering.

And i'm still not convinced about a sub (of whatever number). I think it would consolidate PS1 as a ghost town. But since that's just speculation i guess we will have to wait and see what happens.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion