Empire Scores and Weekly Winner - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I got your thumb!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-14, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Empire Scores and Weekly Winner

One of the biggest flaws with PS2 at the moment is that (generally speaking) all the fighting happens on Indar, which gets pretty repetitive. Decent fights on Esamir or Amerish seem rare, and are often very unbalanced (one faction decides to cap, nobody bothers to defend, and a mini-zerg just steamrollers the whole place).

So I've been wondering how we could encourage more fighting on the other continents, and my concept for this is to add an overall score for each of the three empires, and then announce a winner at the end of every week (or maybe month?) - along with a prize in the form of XP for everyone in that empire.

Empire Points

Awarded for:
  • Capturing a territory (with a multiplier for winning a Challenge)
  • Defending a territory (with a multiplier for winning a Challenge)
  • Holding a territory for an hour (score multiplier increases every hour, up to a certain cap)
  • Capturing a continent
  • Holding a continent for an hour (score multiplier increases every hour, up to a certain cap)

Ideally the scaling bonus for holding land means that constantly swapping territory and always attacking is less valuable than carving out a defensible 'state' on each continent and then consistently holding it - with border zones that change hands often, while only a well-organised attack will take the more secure 'homeland' areas. Of course this would need to go hand-in-hand with changes to make defending more viable in the first place...

Challenges

Finally empire commanders would gain the ability to periodically issue a challenge to a rival empire over one of the territories they control. This would function as a kind of bet - with the attacking empire scoring a large bonus if they successfully take the challenged territory, and the defender scoring a large bonus if they defend it.

These bonus points would be subtracted from the other empire's score - so a trailing empire can challenge the leader, and risk their own points in an attempt to close in on their lead. The stakes of a challenge would be based on the current 'holding' bonus for that area - i.e. the longer the defender has held it, the more points it's worth in a challenge.

Once a challenge is issued, the territory would be locked for a while (ten minutes?) becoming uncapturable to give the defenders time to organise (generators/turrets/terminals would likewise become invincible/unhackable).

Weekly Winner

At the end of the week, players of each empire would earn an XP bonus based on their empire's score - with a bonus award if their empire was the winner. This XP would be awarded whether or not the player is online at the time, but only if they participated in at least one successful capture or defence that week.

Ideally this would make people feel that every capture or defence actually matters, that holding territory is important and that they cannot afford to ignore Amerish and Esamir - in case their rivals earn an unbeatable lead by holding them unchallenged.

tl;dr: award empire-wide score for capping and holding territory, and give an XP prize to players every week based on that score. This should encourage people to care about the meta-game, rather than just grinding kills.

What do people think?

Old 2013-01-14, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Empire Scores and Weekly Winner

On Briggs I am part of a website that regularly sets up events on the other conts called "Wars", basically all of the outfit leaders commit to the event so the other outfit leaders in their faction can co-ordinate ahead of time.

Basically, every organised outfit on the server logs into the cont sits in the WG till the event starts and then all hell breaks loose as all 3 factions fight to cap the cont.

It would be nice if SOE could run events like that for the servers so the other conts get some action but I think its up to the community to do that at this stage.

The website is - http://briggs-wc.net/ If you wana get an idea on how the events are run.

Hopefully when the next set of three conts are added and an inter continental meta is added things get more interesting.

Old 2013-01-14, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Yeah, outfit-led events can certainly do a lot to help things as it stands, I'd guess that most of the time if there's any fighting outside of Indar it's because an outfit has decided to make a big push there.

I guess what I was trying to come up with was a way of making the ordinary zerg/lone-wolf player care about the other continents, so outfits/commanders don't have to push so hard to get some fighting there.

The other benefit of an overall score would be to give a feeling of persistence/overall victory to help prevent people getting bored or discouraged. I've seen a lot of people complain that capping areas in PS2 doesn't really count for anything - it just gets capped back again, and it's like all your hard work is undone. If your victories count towards an overall score, then at least there's some tangible effect for each one.

Old 2013-01-14, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

Oh for sure some visual sign that you are acheiving something is long overdue it does feel kind of dreary to be fighting over the same territories time and time again.

Old 2013-01-14, 07:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
jsnipy
Private

Agree with op; especially since things have no logical end.

Game needs more stats in general- best these stats be team based.

inb4statsrlyfe
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion