Class-Specific Weapons - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm drunk, how about you?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-12, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Class-Specific Weapons

One thing that has always slightly irritated me is the sharing of carbines between engineers and light assaults.

This is not to say that I don't like carbines, but I think each class needs a weapon of their own. Snipers, LMGs, Assault rifles.

I would like to see both the engineer and light assault get a weapon of their own, to suit their needs. As it stands, the shared weaponry of these classes makes them seem to lack variety. A weapon that pinpoints their role moreso would be helpful.

I think room should be made for these classes to have their own weapon type. Not necessarily immediately, but in future development.
Old 2013-02-12, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Class-Specific Weapons

Sooooooooo . . . . like what?
Old 2013-02-12, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Sooooooooo . . . . like what?
The daunting question - I don't know.

Hence why I said in future development. Currently I can think of very few options, especially now with the addition of SMGs. I just hope it's in plans; the two classes sharing their "main" weapon is a bit silly.
Old 2013-02-12, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
OCNSethy
Major

Saves on cert spending though (not having to buy two seperate weapons)
Old 2013-02-12, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

It annoys me to hell that you have to be a Medic to use the Gauss Rifle. I mean, any proper Medic doesn't need anything other than a pistol really, but no. The class that should be using guns the least gets the infantry standard weapon.

In my opinion, HA at the very least should get the ARs. But, I'd give them to LA and Eng too.

Old 2013-02-12, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
AThreatToYou
Major

It seriously annoys the fapp out of me that we have class-specific weapons in the first place, mostly because they all work the same way. I'd like to see the game move away from exactly what the OP is suggesting.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-02-12 at 09:35 PM.
Old 2013-02-12, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DarkMesa
Corporal

If you want such a thing so badly, then perhaps take scout rifles from infiltrators, seeing as how the full-auto ones are effectively replaced by SMGs, and the semi-auto ones behave like the semi-auto close range sniper rifles.

Then replace the carbines on the light assault with scout rifles, this gives them a unique weapon, and gives them the option to use a marksman's weapon, (other than sniper rifles, which most people seem to concede would be overpowered on a light assault anyway,) at the same time.
Old 2013-02-12, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kerrec
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by DarkMesa View Post
If you want such a thing so badly, then perhaps take scout rifles from infiltrators, seeing as how the full-auto ones are effectively replaced by SMGs, and the semi-auto ones behave like the semi-auto close range sniper rifles.

Then replace the carbines on the light assault with scout rifles, this gives them a unique weapon, and gives them the option to use a marksman's weapon, (other than sniper rifles, which most people seem to concede would be overpowered on a light assault anyway,) at the same time.
I play my LA in a close quarters offensive role. Taking away carbines and giving them semi-auto scout rifles would just neuter the class. What's the point of having jump jets if you have to stay far away to not get owned by every automatic weapon in the game?
Old 2013-02-12, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
DarkMesa
Corporal

Originally Posted by Kerrec View Post
I play my LA in a close quarters offensive role. Taking away carbines and giving them semi-auto scout rifles would just neuter the class. What's the point of having jump jets if you have to stay far away to not get owned by every automatic weapon in the game?
Light assault would get both types of scout rifles, apologies if I was not clear.
Old 2013-02-12, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ghodere
Corporal

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
It annoys me to hell that you have to be a Medic to use the Gauss Rifle. I mean, any proper Medic doesn't need anything other than a pistol really, but no. The class that should be using guns the least gets the infantry standard weapon.

In my opinion, HA at the very least should get the ARs. But, I'd give them to LA and Eng too.
It's a Combat Medic, though. CM and HA are the front-line troops- Eng are very much a support class, same with LA and Inf in their own ways, and the MAX is just a tool you pull out in some situations. CM and HA are meant to push the line forward.
Old 2013-02-12, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

I like the shared weapons.
Old 2013-02-12, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I understand the mentality.

Assault Rifles should be the base line weapon. LA, Med, Eng, and HA should all start with them. LMGs, SMGs, Carbines, Shotties, Battle Rifles, etc being unlocked class specialization weapons.

Infils should be relegated to pistols, but have a lot more tools to use.

Sniper Rifles (imo) would be just fine as alternative HA secondary weapons (same slot as rocket launchers).

The rest should look like this imo:

Battle Rifle: LA, Medic
Shotgun: Eng, HA
LMG: HA
Carbines: LA
SMG: Eng, Medic

This way each class (except infil) gets three weapon pools to work out of, some overlapping.

New players can focus on Assault Rifles and still be able to try all the classes and they can determine on their own which class and gun to change to.

Bottom line: The Cycler, Gauss, and Pulsar should be the most common rifle seen on the battlefield. With BRs, LMGs, Carbs, Shotties, and SMGs being the exceptions.

Or maybe its just me and my silly logical thinking processes.

Old 2013-02-13, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
It seriously annoys the fapp out of me that we have class-specific weapons in the first place, mostly because they all work the same way. I'd like to see the game move away from exactly what the OP is suggesting.
I agree, but you probably can't get the devs to budge on that issue.

Therefore, if three of the main classes have their own weapon, I'm just saying the other two should, also.

I think having these classes share weapons, such as the shotguns and carbine, is fine. They are, after all, supposed to have a "wide array" of weaponry. But, if other classes get their own special weapon, it's only balance to give the same treatment to these classes (LA and Engi, respectively).

Although, I do think the idea of giving a baseline weapon (Assault Rifles) for all classes would be a good idea.
Old 2013-02-13, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Timealude
Captain

a wrench for engies
Old 2013-02-13, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Calisai
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
a wrench for engies
Instead of the Quick-knife.. Engies get the Quick-wrench...

Blunt force trauma...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion