News: Development Update from Higby - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How do you know what kinda GD day it is?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-21, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Development Update from Higby

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...higby-2960.htm

Hey all –

We’ve had a busy couple weeks here on the Planetside 2 team, and I wanted to talk about three things in particular that we've been working on.

First up: Roadmap Update. It’s been about a month since we've released the Roadmap website and so far it has been incredibly helpful for us on the team to see your ideas and suggestions on upcoming features. So, huge “Thank you!” to everyone who has participated in discussion of our upcoming features on Roadmap, and if you haven’t yet, please do check it out. We’ve already changed priority and direction on several features based on feedback and suggestions from the Roadmap site. In some cases feedback has caused us to reevaluate a feature and/or changed the scope of required work which will cause features to be moved forward or backwards in the schedule to match their new estimated delivery, so, you can expect to see a reshuffling of features on there soon. As we realign the features we’ll be going through each, giving more details where possible, and including the reasons for them moving in the schedule so that everyone understands how their favorite upcoming feature is coming along.

Speaking of shuffling, right now the Roadmap lists most tasks on the month they’re being worked on internally, which makes sense for our internal project management, but not as much sense when thinking about it as a “release date”. So, we will be shifting the months that tasks are listed in forward based on the fact that we generally patch at the tail end of the month, due to this, updates marked for “May” would show up in late May or, if delayed, early June, which many of you have let us know is a bit confusing. For game updates we are working off a 2-week cadence, so you can expect to see two major updates each month, and minor updates and bug fixes in between when and if necessary.

At the end of the day, the goal of the Roadmap is to give the an accurate view of what will actually be getting delivered month-by-month. It will never be 100% accurate 100% of the time, but we’re working on a plan to ensure it is kept up-to-date with our best estimates of when features will be released.

Next: Players Site: http://players.planetside2.com. We’re really excited to finally release the beta version of the Planetside 2 Players site! The website has a ton of really kickass character-focused features including: comprehensive character and progression stats, detailed stats on class, weapon, and vehicle usage, realtime & historical killboards for each character, friend status and more.

In addition to character statistics the site features leaderboards which can be filtered based on a number of criteria, like server & time period, as well as a PlanetStatus page which displays the current territory control of each continent for your server. Several features such as outfit browsing and certifications will be coming online in the future. The website is in beta so please be gentle and report any bugs you see with it here: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...in-beta.96152/

We’re really proud of the Players site and we can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it.

Finally: Server Merges. Next week we will be doing server merges to help even populations across all game servers. Right now we have a lot of disparity between populations on our servers, some are highly populated with active fights across all continents, some are not. This is a factor of which servers were most popular at launch, and players gravitating to one or two servers per locale. Now that the crush of new players from launch and the holidays has died down, and our server populations and incoming new players have stabilized we have a good idea of where each server stands in terms of player population, empire population and we can model merges to optimize the populations.

The following servers will be getting Merged:

US West:
Genudine and Helios -> Helios

US East:
Mattherson and SolTech -> Mattherson
Waterson and Jaeger -> Waterson

EU:
Cobalt and Lithcorp -> Cobalt
Ceres and Mallory -> Ceres

Connery, Woodman, Miller and Briggs will not be part of the merges.

You won’t have to do anything to participate, the entire server population will be moving, your friends, outfits & certs will all be coming with you. Those of you on servers that are being merged will just see that your character is on a different server the next time you log in after the merger is complete. The result of these merges will be a more consistent and full server population during off-peak hours, more players to support better utilization of all of the continents in the game and, generally a lot more massive in your massively-multiplayer. Shortly after the merges are complete we plan to begin offering server transfer tokens, so if you would prefer to go to a different server at that point you could.

Until next time, thank you for playing Planetside 2 and we’ll see you on Auraxis!

-
Matthew Higby (@mhigby)
Creative Director - Planetside2

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-02-21 at 01:49 PM.
Old 2013-02-21, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Development Update from Higby

Updated OP

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-02-21, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Chewy
Major

"US East: Mattherson and SolTech -> Mattherson Waterson and Jaeger -> Waterson" ???

Does that mean Mattherson and Soltech become Mattherson, then Mattherson, Watserson, and Jaeger become Waterson?

So the final east coast server is going to be Waterson but only after 2 mergers? Am I reading that right?
Old 2013-02-21, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
"US East: Mattherson and SolTech -> Mattherson Waterson and Jaeger -> Waterson" ???

Does that mean Mattherson and Soltech become Mattherson, then Mattherson, Watserson, and Jaeger become Waterson?

So the final east coast server is going to be Waterson but only after 2 mergers? Am I reading that right?
No....it means your dyslexic.

Mattherson and SolTech will merge to JUST MATHERSON.

Waterson and Jaeger will merge to JUST WATERSON

NO Matherson & Waterson merge stated.
Old 2013-02-21, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bear
Corporal

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

SolTech is going to Matherson and Jaeger is going to Waterson.
Old 2013-02-21, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I would really love for stats to be showing Kills to HS Kills ratio/percentage... I mean, you can see my K/D Ratio below, it's crap it's one of the worst in my outfit, but I have one of the (if not just THE) highest Headshot percentage.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-02-21 at 02:24 PM.
Old 2013-02-21, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Assist
Contributor
Major

So.. how's Jaeger's faction distribution!?
Old 2013-02-21, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sifer2
Major

Awesome. Just checked the beta stats site it's cool. And knowing I might get to play on Esamir/Amerish next week is great news.
Old 2013-02-21, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
No....it means your dyslexic.

Mattherson and SolTech will merge to JUST MATHERSON.

Waterson and Jaeger will merge to JUST WATERSON

NO Matherson & Waterson merge stated.
I see it now. Hamma didn't quote the link when I read it and there's nothing that splits those lines. They are just massed into the same line without a comma, period, break, or anything to tell that those 2 mergers are separate things.

It's not my fault that it was, and still is, typed as I quoted. All one line without anything to show that they aren't connected.
Old 2013-02-21, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
I think it has 3 people playing NC, 2 people playing VS and 2 people playing TR.
Old 2013-02-21, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Connery really isn't all that busy, even on Indar. The population fluctuates wildly even during "prime time" and the other two continents are always dead. Sort of bummed about not getting more players. Will be the same old, same old...
Old 2013-02-21, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mastodon
Private

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
Ballpark?

VS ~25-28%
TR and NC ~35-37%

Population has had that kind distribution since before GU2.

Last edited by Mastodon; 2013-02-21 at 02:38 PM.
Old 2013-02-21, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Old 2013-02-21, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Connery really isn't all that busy, even on Indar. The population fluctuates wildly even during "prime time" and the other two continents are always dead. Sort of bummed about not getting more players. Will be the same old, same old...
I'm thinking that they don't want to close down too many servers.

Heh, I like this part.
Right now we have a lot of disparity between populations on our servers, some are highly populated with active fights across all continents, some are not.
Some are not? Marketing at work, I'm pretty sure it's most of them

A bit fast on the typing there it seems, that doesn't really make much sense.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-02-21 at 02:45 PM.
Old 2013-02-21, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

Also I updated our front page news post there were some missing line breaks.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion