[Suggestion] Keep the current arsenal fresh - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: don't mind if I do!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-24, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rolfski
Major

[Suggestion] Keep the current arsenal fresh

You spend a lot of time in this game with a gun in your hand. Problem is that it lacks personality atm.

T-Ray has recently said that they were focusing on getting the new flashy toys out and that badassification of current weapons takes second priority. I disagree with this priority, I think it should be more 50/50 or 60/40.
People play with the same weapons all the time. Why not give them more options to make their gun more "theirs" over time?

With all these new, expensive weapons this game becomes undeniably more a grindfest over time. This will not only become increasingly frustrating for the 90% that doesn't pay for this game, it affects people who do invest in the game as well. Imagine installing and first playing this game in a year or so, only to find out that you need at least throw in a few hundred bucks or thousand game play hours to build somewhat of an arsenal. Quite a daunting perspective if you ask me.

This is why keeping the current and default arsenal fresh is so important. And with fresh I not only mean badassification, it means more personalisation options as well. More ammo types, more muzzles, barrels, sights, a customization slot for stocks, etc. There are tons of ways to make a gun more yours, both from a cosmetic as well as a weapon stats point-of -view.
And there a opportunities for SOE to make money out of it as well. I don't mind a 70 SC /100 cert stock for my Track 5 that will not only reduce it's recoil (at the cost of hipfire COF) it will make it look more mine and badass as well. And I will happily pay 70 SC to give it a very specific color scheme.

These are the kind of customizations that should get more priority within the dev team imo. The game Blacklight Retribution (also F2P) did an awesome job with this, devs should take notion.
Old 2013-02-24, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Re: [Suggestion] Keep the current arsenal fresh

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
These are the kind of customizations that should get more priority within the dev team imo. The game Blacklight Retribution (also F2P) did an awesome job with this, devs should take notion.
I was about to cite this game as an example of "various customization options done right". Those additions are not all unique, most of them feel the same... HOWEVER the same can be said of weapons in Planetside 2.

In fact, SOE is forcing us to buy a whole new weapon instead of buying it piece by piece. I, for one, would LOVE TO BITS buying parts of guns one-by-one. I wouldn't even mind if every part ended up costing 500 Certs, because in the long run it would offer MORE customization and personalization, and, face it: Most of the existing guns feel the same anyway, why not have the whole thing be like Blacklight? It was literally one of the best mechanics of the game, and I hope they haven't patented it or anything.

It would be a big change for SOE to make right now, but I would fall over my own feet giving them money for it. It would also cut a LOT of complaints, like "new sights for every gun", off at the knees.
Old 2013-02-24, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rolfski
Major

I agree that devs should have looked a lot better to Blacklight before releasing this game but I think it's too late to have a Blacklight system 1 on 1 implemented at this point. We should probably stick to badassification of the current arsenal and more additional customization options that make sense. Certing into the exact same thing for an identical weapon does NOT make sense.
Old 2013-02-25, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
TotalQuiki
Private

Dont understand what you really mean about making personal. It's a weapon. Does not really matter how it looks and having all the "scopes" and stuff on it will feel like CoD. Maybe I'm just old school, but never the less maybe devs will listen to you
Old 2013-02-25, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by TotalQuiki View Post
Dont understand what you really mean about making personal. It's a weapon. Does not really matter how it looks and having all the "scopes" and stuff on it will feel like CoD. Maybe I'm just old school, but never the less maybe devs will listen to you
Well, developing your character over time and keeping the content fresh is a big driver for players to keep coming back. It's a main pillar for the micro-transaction business model or f2p model.

A lot of players go out of their way for finding their personal best mix of weapons stats, abilities and attachments that go with their primary gun. This is why providing gun customizations is a good way to keep the game fresh.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion