PST pickup scrims Saturdays 5pm EST - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now taking slow computers and beating them with a stick.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-01-26, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Illtempered
First Sergeant

PST pickup scrims Saturdays 5pm EST

Some of our outfit guys participated in the PTS pickup scrim yesterday. It was a blast and we plan on doing it every Saturday. It's mostly been setup by players from the Miller server. Everything was relaxed and fun with a bunch of cool people. They plan on doing it at least once a week on Saturdays at 5pm Eastern, and hope to expand from there to include as many people as possible.

There were roughly 40 people on, so we had about 2 squads each platoon and played tourney-style infantry matches with no MAXs, Vehicles, recon-darts, etc. We played various matches on the newly-revised Amerish. There seems to be a lot of infantry-friendly space on the new Amerish with caverns and underground-facilities.

This is the kind of thing that is great for easing people into competitive play who might otherwise be reticent to even try. It reminded me of the days of Tribes pickup-scrims. They were always a blast. Ladder was fun too, but the pickup-scrims seemed to be more consistently fun because of the relaxed attitude, but in an organized and competitive structure.
Old 2014-01-26, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: PST pickup scrims Saturdays 5pm EST

I was there for a while and had fun.

At the Kwatee South Pass battle I noticed a recon drone, I don't think this is available yet to normal people or at least I couldn't see how to get it so I'm thinking it was a dev looking in.

Kwatee produced a better battle than I thought it would, but one thing I don't think we did was to try to lock the spawns down, but perhaps this wouldn't have been possible as the pops were pretty balanced.

The underground area should appear on the mini map though (imho).
Old 2014-01-27, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Sorry for the noob question... What is a "pickup scrim?"

Sounds interesting. I rarely get involved in any kind of competetive match play and I might pop along to see what it is all about.

What about character faction, and stuff like that? What would I need to do to be able to join in?
Old 2014-01-28, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Illtempered
First Sergeant

It's a scrimmage, or practice. They used to be very popular in the early PC competition days, at least in games like Counter-Strike, Quake, and Tribes. Teams or clans would host pickup scrims as a way to practice and recruit.

Everybody who shows up is given a number, then odd numbers go to one team, and even to the other. You never know which faction you'll be playing. Everybody but trolls are welcome. Fun!
Old 2014-01-29, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

So would I need to create a character for each faction, in case I needed to switch in order to balance the sides?
Old 2014-01-29, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rolfski
Major

Pick up games are highly recommended.
At first I just joined a session because a team mate of my instigated this whole idea and I wanted to support him, but it turned out to be actually really fun.

It's a good middle ground between vanilla play and competitive matches. You play rather competitively over capture points with some of the best players in this whole game, but on the other hand the random teams, low entry threshold and the fact that it is on PTS makes it easy to get into. And because they don't allow for vehicles & maxes, it's an excellent way to train your shooting skills.
The best part of it is that it is cross-server though. Although the idea originates from Miller, you play with players from all servers which is really cool. Good way of testing your skill level because some of these players are really good.

It's every Friday & Saturday 10 pm GMT on PTS. More info here
Old 2014-01-29, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Illtempered
First Sergeant

I was under the impression it would be held at 5pm US East, like last week. Maybe they've changed it again? We'll keep each other updated and Shaql always keeps us up-to-speed on these things.

Oh and Synkrotron, yes, you create a character from each empire, and max out your preferred class or whatever your team needs. Remember it's the test-server so you get all the certs you could ever ask for.
Old 2014-01-30, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Illtempered View Post
Oh and Synkrotron, yes, you create a character from each empire, and max out your preferred class or whatever your team needs. Remember it's the test-server so you get all the certs you could ever ask for.
Okay, thanks

I'll definitely try to pop along one night and see how it goes. I'm quite happy with my current Outfit and anything I learn here will be of help to them.

I must say that, the fact it is infantry only really pleases me. I just don't get on well with either ground armour or air combat...

My favourite classes, when I am supporting my Outfit, are medic and engy but being asked/told to go heavy or light assault, to suit a particular situation would improve my game overall.

cheers
Old 2014-01-31, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by illtempered View Post
i was under the impression it would be held at 5pm us east, like last week. Maybe they've changed it again?
5 pm EST = 10 pm GMT (= 2 pm PST = 23:00 CET)

Last edited by Rolfski; 2014-01-31 at 05:53 AM.
Old 2014-01-31, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Ah yes, Miller-time
Old 2014-02-15, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Bump to say this continues to grow as we broke the record with 67 people today.

They even have a website set up for it:

http://ps2-pickup.enjin.com/home
Old 2014-02-17, 02:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Lykin
Private

Very interesting, I must check it out
Old 2014-02-21, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Interesting idea. Thanks for the fyi Illtempered. Tough time to manage to get on with the family responsibilities and it being around supper time, but who knows, maybe I can sneak in under the radar. Here's hoping.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion