State of the Game - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The best excuse to become a shut-in yet!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2014-08-10, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

State of the Game

Which bugs are still around? I think our best shot at reviving PlanetSide might be to create a petition some months before PlanetSide's 11th anniversary this upcoming May, and request SOE to fix any game-breaking bugs that are still around (I'm talking about the Core Combat bug, which removes content from players, and the wasp/striker bugs, are these still around?).

In addition we would need to ask PlanetSide Universe and SOE both to blast email all of their registered accounts with the news of PlanetSide's 11th Year Anniversary and that the game is free.

The problem when the game went free were the aforementioned game breaking bugs and the lack of knowledge that SOE even changed anything about PlanetSide's payment model. I reckon a majority of former PS1 players still don't know the game is free.

I'm not sure the game can be revived anymore, but this is still worth a shot. I have a draft of the petition made already, I'm just waiting on making it public until 2015 hits, I'm thinking New Years will be a good time to make it public. This would give SOE approximately five months to respond to the petition and if possible fix those game-breakers before the 11 Year Anniversary.

If it doesn't work, I think its safe to say that nothing will revive the game short of a complete 180° turn from SOE in regards to the game's publicity. If it does work, then hey, its a damn good thing we tried.

So, do those bugs still exist? I haven't had time to log in for quite awhile, let alone play long enough to encounter them.

Thanks,

Chief

Last edited by MasterChief096; 2014-08-10 at 09:56 PM.
Old 2014-08-11, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Skittles
Sergeant

Re: State of the Game

You want to try and revive an 11 year old game, and you have a draft petition already written out. To a game you don't even play anymore or have 1st hand knowledge of whether its still bugged. Not 1 month. Not 2 months from its anniversary. But, TEN months from now?

We're talking about a game that SOE didn't do jack dilly squat about on its 10th anniversary, yet for some reason you think the 11th one is some how special and deserves attention?

I don't want to tell you that you've got some messed up belief systems, priorities, or aspirations. But, as the kids like to say; "You're doing it wrong," and "you've lost control of your life." Find a new hobby. Go out on a limb during the Steam summer sale or something.
Old 2014-08-11, 02:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
You want to try and revive an 11 year old game, and you have a draft petition already written out. To a game you don't even play anymore or have 1st hand knowledge of whether its still bugged. Not 1 month. Not 2 months from its anniversary. But, TEN months from now?

We're talking about a game that SOE didn't do jack dilly squat about on its 10th anniversary, yet for some reason you think the 11th one is some how special and deserves attention?

I don't want to tell you that you've got some messed up belief systems, priorities, or aspirations. But, as the kids like to say; "You're doing it wrong," and "you've lost control of your life." Find a new hobby. Go out on a limb during the Steam summer sale or something.
I don't usually like to reply to posts in a cross tone, but given the snarky and ignorant nature of your reply I feel I'm going to have to.

1. I'm not playing PlanetSide 1 because the game peaks at like 20 players online at a maximum. That and I've been extremely busy with summer courses among numerous other obligations.

2. If you had actually read the post, I stated that I would probably make the petition public sometime in January, which is not ten months, but five months away from the anniversary. I assume you can do simple math.

3. It would have to be made public with a significant amount of time to spare so that if it received a positive response, SOE would have time to actually do things (like fixing the bugs).

4. I'm certain that all the noise the players made about PlanetSide 1 while it was still subscription-based is a large reason SOE was arsed to switch it free in the first place. If we do that again for much smaller changes, then we may have a shot at getting their attention once more.

5. I have to ask about the bugs because with only 20 people on during peak times, I haven't had a chance to see if the entities in question (wasp, striker) were still bugged. Why this upsets you is beyond me.

6. Using the anniversary date as the date to try and revive the game is strategic, because it will make SOE and PSU more likely to send out emails and be receptive to player requests leading up to and immediately after the 11th Anniversary.

7. Not sure what you are getting on with the "beliefs, aspirations, etc" part. Maybe before you write something, you should consider that you don't know shit, as I happen to own over 250 games on Steam. And telling me to find a new hobby is completely stupid considering typing this thread and the draft of the petition as well as even thinking of the idea in the first place took me a combined total of maybe 15 minutes.

8. Building off of point #7, your post was completely useless, nonconstructive, and rude, therefore I think you should rethink your priorities or find a new hobby, and if you have nothing to contribute (including constructive criticism of the idea in general), then stay quiet.
Old 2014-08-11, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
GodlessHeretic
Private

Skittles intent makes sense and is completely expected. To be honest, had he not made a post about it, i would've.

Quit throwing a hissy-fit and either ignore him, or at least conversate WITH him, not AT him. Your subsequent response makes you sound like a douche and is actually doing fantastic job of turning me off to your plan having even barely read it.

EDIT: Read it. Alot of this is pinned on the expectation that SOE will do anything at all. They made the game FTP without developer support for a reason. Take your pick as to what that is. Do what you feel you have to, just don't hold your breath.

Last edited by GodlessHeretic; 2014-08-11 at 04:21 PM.
Old 2014-08-12, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by GodlessHeretic View Post
Skittles intent makes sense and is completely expected. To be honest, had he not made a post about it, i would've.

Quit throwing a hissy-fit and either ignore him, or at least conversate WITH him, not AT him. Your subsequent response makes you sound like a douche and is actually doing fantastic job of turning me off to your plan having even barely read it.

EDIT: Read it. Alot of this is pinned on the expectation that SOE will do anything at all. They made the game FTP without developer support for a reason. Take your pick as to what that is. Do what you feel you have to, just don't hold your breath.
His initial response, once again, was as nonconstructive as it was goading and rude. I don't feel the need to respond constructively to something that contributes nothing. I'm not here to convince people who gave up on PS long ago to once again care. I'm here to outline a potential plan for the people who still do care. And please outline his "intent" for me. As far as I can gather, his response can be summed up in, "SOE won't do anything, give up, ad hominem about your personal beliefs/hobbies that I know nothing about."

As to your comment, yes. That is the case. That has been the case for almost 11 years now, as it is the expectation for any fan community with any game developer... the hope that the developer will read the words of its fans.

The point is that it is the only method we have to try and enact a change, and it only takes 5 minutes for me to publish the petition, and each person 1 minute or less to sign. Whether or not it gets read by anyone important by SOE is up to chance, and whether or not whoever reads it decides to actually do anything is another chance altogether. The probability of those chances following through may be small, but that is not the point.

The point: is this something easy to do that could still work? Yes.

If you think this is a hissy fit then you and I have very different opinions of what constitutes whining, and it makes me question if you even read his post.

Perhaps without this part of his post I would have taken him more seriously.

And I did respond to all of his "points".

Last edited by MasterChief096; 2014-08-12 at 02:31 PM.
Old 2014-08-13, 04:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
GodlessHeretic
Private

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
His initial response, once again, was as nonconstructive as it was goading and rude. I don't feel the need to respond constructively to something that contributes nothing.
OH TEH NOES! THE GAIS DUN LIKED MAI OPEENUNS?! RAWRWARRBBLBLBWTFBBQ!!!????!!?!?!?

Seriously? You need to relax a bit. Quit being so defensive.

I'm not here to convince people who gave up on PS long ago to once again care. I'm here to outline a potential plan for the people who still do care.
Yes. You are are convincing them to care. Though, you're doing a horrible job. As i stated previously, your plan is flimsy at best. Expecting/hoping SOE to do something when it has done nothing EVER is not what i'd call solid.

And please outline his "intent" for me. As far as I can gather, his response can be summed up in, "SOE won't do anything, give up, ad hominem about your personal beliefs/hobbies that I know nothing about."
I can't begin to "know" what he's saying, or even the original intent. That aside i'd imagine he's confused as to why you're bothering in the first place when you can't be bothered at all.

As to your comment, yes. That is the case. That has been the case for almost 11 years now, as it is the expectation for any fan community with any game developer... the hope that the developer will read the words of its fans.
Considering ours have been ignored entirely, your purpose in all of this is utterly pointless.

The point is that it is the only method we have to try and enact a change, and it only takes 5 minutes for me to publish the petition, and each person 1 minute or less to sign. Whether or not it gets read by anyone important by SOE is up to chance, and whether or not whoever reads it decides to actually do anything is another chance altogether. The probability of those chances following through may be small, but that is not the point.
So if this petition requires so little effort, it's date of submission is so far off, and it's probablility of succeeding is so small...

Why'd you bother right now?

All of this could've waited. This might've done more good if you actually had a petition to sign.

The point: is this something easy to do that could still work? Yes.
I have been exactly where you are right now. I can tell you from experience that unless this somehow aligns with some sort of planning on their part, SOE will ignore you entirely.

If you think this is a hissy fit then you and I have very different opinions of what constitutes whining, and it makes me question if you even read his post.
Considering it took you exactly ONE post to jump someone's ass over this and you're now arguing with me, well...

I'd have to call it something.

Perhaps without this part of his post I would have taken him more seriously.
If you actually had a petition to sign, i'd do the same.

And I did respond to all of his "points".
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

Again, do what you feel you have to. If you had something for me to sign, i'd certainly give it a read. You don't, however. That was your major mistake in all of this.
Old 2014-08-13, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SgtMAD
Captain

the major mistake made here is thinking SOE is going to have this huge change of heart and start caring about a dead game.

as much as we all loved PS,its time has passed us by and to think anything else is pure folly.
Old 2014-08-13, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

OH TEH NOES! THE GAIS DUN LIKED MAI OPEENUNS?! RAWRWARRBBLBLBWTFBBQ!!!????!!?!?!?

Seriously? You need to relax a bit. Quit being so defensive.
Who is being defensive? You and Skittles come in here typing sentences that I used to type back when I was still a child on the internet, and I respond. Its not defensive. I have nothing against people not liking the idea of the petition, at least offer sound reasoning beyond, well, I can't even find any reasoning in Skittles post.

Yes. You are are convincing them to care. Though, you're doing a horrible job. As i stated previously, your plan is flimsy at best. Expecting/hoping SOE to do something when it has done nothing EVER is not what i'd call solid.
Making noise is what caused SOE to make the game go free in the first place, or do you not remember? And how is a petition flimsy? Its a petition. A simple platform to let SOE know that there are people who still want to see a change. I've already admitted that beyond that, its up to chance whether SOE acts on it or not. And no, I'm not convincing anyone to care, so I'm not doing a horrible job. I deliberately said my goal was not to convince people who don't care to care. I mean it. If you don't care about PS, then fine.

I can't begin to "know" what he's saying, or even the original intent. That aside i'd imagine he's confused as to why you're bothering in the first place when you can't be bothered at all.
Because I actually like the game and nothing has come close to matching its greatness yet? Is it that hard to grasp? Between work, college, and other obligations, I don't have time to play a game that peaks 20 people at max. Not having time to play doesn't translate to not caring. What am I just gonna ignore actually important things so I can log on and trade a few jabs at the one VS/TR player whose hacking towers?

Considering ours have been ignored entirely, your purpose in all of this is utterly pointless.
Not entirely. The announcement of PS1 going F2P came quite a bit after the petition got circulated to make it F2P. I'm not saying that it is 100% because of the petition but it was definitely a factor.

People like you have been around since 2003. The "don't try to do anything, it won't work" breed. You claim to know its pointless without even having tried. That's just silly. Well some people aren't satisfied with just listening to the pessimists. Some people actually will take 30 seconds out of their day to sign an internet petition that will get emailed to Smedley/SOE.

So if this petition requires so little effort, it's date of submission is so far off, and it's probablility of succeeding is so small...

Why'd you bother right now?

All of this could've waited. This might've done more good if you actually had a petition to sign.
Umm, maybe because in the time that I haven't been playing PS1 SOE already fixed the wasp/striker bugs and Core Combat bug? Therefore that shouldn't be included in the petition?

Or are you really so offended that a forum that sees like one post a day has a thread letting you guys know in advance what someone plans to do later on? Does that really bother you? Is it "spam" in the PS1 section?

I have been exactly where you are right now. I can tell you from experience that unless this somehow aligns with some sort of planning on their part, SOE will ignore you entirely.
When have you been here? Last I checked, you didn't start the petition to have the game go F2P. Maybe you signed it, I don't remember.

And you have no evidence to suggest that SOE won't do anything unless it aligns with their plans. Just pessimism. And these aren't changes that there have to be plans for. Its literally asking for two bug fixes (both damage related) and one bug fix that could easily be fixed by just granting everyone Core Combat since the game is free anyways. We know SOE can do this because they have been tweaking in-game values as late as 2009 for certain events. If all else failed they could just do a roll-back to a time before the bugs existed. Or they could release a statement saying they can't fix it to let us understand.

Considering it took you exactly ONE post to jump someone's ass over this and you're now arguing with me, well...

I'd have to call it something.
How you read his post and sided with him I'll never know. Every single paragraph contributed nothing. No offense but it doesn't take a degree in philosophy to understand how to reply constructively to a thread. If he didn't like the idea of a petition he could have said so. Instead the first paragraph is (illogically) assuming I don't care about the game since I'm not playing it. The second paragraph is more SOE-hate (for what reason exactly?). The third paragraph is a bunch of useless words describing how I somehow need to investigate how I spend my personal time and a jab at my "personal beliefs."

If you actually had a petition to sign, i'd do the same.
There's no point in posting the petition this early. I was just letting everyone know about it. I already have it written. I mentioned in the OP why I wouldn't publish it until New Years. And I came here asking decent, honest questions to which neither of you have responded intelligently or constructively.

I'm sorry, but the fact of the matter is, there was NOTHING in my original post that warranted the response I got from Skittles, or you from that matter.

If you don't like the idea, then say why and give sound reasoning. Don't keep attacking the poster for fallacious reasons. You claim my response made me sound like a douche yet you won't admit that Skittles initial response, full of baseless, immature attacks didn't make him look asinine?

This forum has really sunk low if this is the expected conduct of people replying to other's threads.

Again, do what you feel you have to. If you had something for me to sign, i'd certainly give it a read. You don't, however. That was your major mistake in all of this.
Mistake according to who? You say I should have had the petition to sign now, yet you sided with Skittles who had said that it was way too early to put a petition up? Quit contradicting your own convictions.

The petition will come, January 1st. Get over it. Just because its not here now to suit your own purposes (whatever those may be) does not mean the idea is bad. I gave you ALL of the information you needed to judge if you wanted to hop on board this idea or not. I told you exactly what would be in the petition. Let me go quote my own words above so that you can read them here since apparently you didn't actually read the whole post:

I think our best shot at reviving PlanetSide might be to create a petition some months before PlanetSide's 11th anniversary this upcoming May, and request SOE to fix any game-breaking bugs that are still around (I'm talking about the Core Combat bug, which removes content from players, and the wasp/striker bugs, are these still around?).

In addition we would need to ask PlanetSide Universe and SOE both to blast email all of their registered accounts with the news of PlanetSide's 11th Year Anniversary and that the game is free.
There you go. Just because the formal petition isn't here for you to read doesn't mean the above words aren't what is going to be included. That right there is enough information for you to have responded constructively, and for Skittles to have responded constructively, yet both of you chose not to. Trolls? Maybe. More likely you just let your pessimism regarding SOE's treatment of the game get the better of you to the point where you can't be arsed to do anything about it yet you still come and visit this forum, and still have the energy to shoot down the ideas of people who will actually be arsed to do something. I'm sorry, nothing else you've said suggests otherwise.
Old 2014-08-13, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SgtMAD View Post
the major mistake made here is thinking SOE is going to have this huge change of heart and start caring about a dead game.

as much as we all loved PS,its time has passed us by and to think anything else is pure folly.
Then maybe we should ask them to let it die with dignity? Pull the plug once and for all?

Seriously though, if most of us had been asked if the game would go free at some point, the majority response would have been no. But SOE did make it free.

There is a small chance they will actually take the time to email all former PlanetSide accounts that its free leading up to the 11th Anniversary. Its just a blast email. When I blast email people on websites it takes 5 minutes. The time it takes to type the email plus the time it takes to check the "send to all" box.

They may be more reluctant to fix the bugs, but we'll take what we can get, right?

I never got the news in email format. I knew about it because I lurked here and on PS official forums over at SOE's website. If I had been out of the loop for even a few months I would never have gotten the email and I still probably wouldn't have known the game was free.
Old 2014-08-14, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hippo
Private

While I believe that all is lost for this once awsome game... I do believe that possibly the only chance Planetside would ever have is to be either Greenlighted onto Steam (won't happen without SOE support) so that would only leave re-releasing Planetside 1.

Re-releasing old games is quite common as "HD" versions but I don't believe it has ever been done with an MMO. Then that would mean that Planetside: Next would need to be made or Planetside 1.5... SOE doesn't have the interest to throw at such a project when they are busy with their zombie game and Everquest.

Might be a smart move to actually re-release Planetside 1 with updated graphics and minor fixes (would attract PS2 players), however how often have you seen SOE act "smart"?? RIP Starwars Galaxies pre-cu, RIP Planetside 1.
Old 2014-08-15, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
SArais
Corporal

You naysayers sicken me. You have lost your light in the glory of Planetside 1. We can revive it. Thousands, if not millions of people still play DOOM.
Old 2014-08-16, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
While I believe that all is lost for this once awsome game... I do believe that possibly the only chance Planetside would ever have is to be either Greenlighted onto Steam (won't happen without SOE support) so that would only leave re-releasing Planetside 1.

Re-releasing old games is quite common as "HD" versions but I don't believe it has ever been done with an MMO. Then that would mean that Planetside: Next would need to be made or Planetside 1.5... SOE doesn't have the interest to throw at such a project when they are busy with their zombie game and Everquest.

Might be a smart move to actually re-release Planetside 1 with updated graphics and minor fixes (would attract PS2 players), however how often have you seen SOE act "smart"?? RIP Starwars Galaxies pre-cu, RIP Planetside 1.
That would actually be something good to throw into the petition, a steam release. Updating graphics wouldn't be necessary I don't think. PlanetSide already supports a wide range of resolutions (all of them I think? I play in 1080p). I don't think a lot of PS2 players would be drawn to PS1, if that were the case it would have happened already. Clearly everyone who plays PS2 knows that there is a predecessor, most probably had the curiosity to check it out, and if they didn't hang around I'd say that's pretty indicative of what type of game they like.

If PlanetSide were to be released on Steam and SOE/PSU were to blast email every account, it would only draw back former players or players who dislike PS2's FPS combat and prefer games like CS/PlanetSide/Tribes/Halo etc. Its not as large of a demographic as the people who like BF/PS2/COD/etc but it would definitely be enough to have a viable population.
Old 2014-08-18, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by SArais View Post
You naysayers sicken me. You have lost your light in the glory of Planetside 1. We can revive it. Thousands, if not millions of people still play DOOM.
Doom actually works though, its servers are being moderated and i'm sure even though john romero is probably a crackhead by now he cares more about doom than SOE does about planetside 1.

And that's the issue here and why most people simply have given up. Don't misunderstand the vets and fans, i'm sure many if not all of us would love nothing more then to see a functional and healthy planetside 1. And i'm also sure many appreciate any efforts to vitalize this game, it just won't go anywhere without SOE. And SOE made it more than clear that they simply don't give a fuck about planetside 1 or anyone interested in it.
That "Twist" guy said he'd look into things months ago...never heard of him again. People have been asking d_carey and folks about the options here:
- Moderate and fix the game
- Release the source code

Guess how many got an answer? Rrrright, zero. There just comes a point where you say "fuck this shit" and do something else. So you really have to understand where most people are coming from here.

To be blunt, at this point, if i could do it and if it's possible, i would just reverse engineer the fucking thing and make my own planetside. Sure, SOE could get your bum for this, but as we have established, they don't give a fuck. And if they do you have a wonderful story and boatloads of horrible PR for SOE to boot. So fuck these guys, just make your own PS1.
Old 2014-08-18, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ncfan
Private

i havn,t given up on the game. i just can,t bring myself to log in due to the games current state. hackers running amok pull hacks inside your own base. broken certs that you can,t use or cert into if you have uncerted it.
Old 2014-08-18, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
Doom actually works though, its servers are being moderated and i'm sure even though john romero is probably a crackhead by now he cares more about doom than SOE does about planetside 1.
Dunno, why, made me lol.

And that's the issue here and why most people simply have given up. Don't misunderstand the vets and fans, i'm sure many if not all of us would love nothing more then to see a functional and healthy planetside 1. And i'm also sure many appreciate any efforts to vitalize this game, it just won't go anywhere without SOE. And SOE made it more than clear that they simply don't give a fuck about planetside 1 or anyone interested in it.
That "Twist" guy said he'd look into things months ago...never heard of him again. People have been asking d_carey and folks about the options here:
- Moderate and fix the game
- Release the source code

Guess how many got an answer? Rrrright, zero. There just comes a point where you say "fuck this shit" and do something else. So you really have to understand where most people are coming from here.
Well, I'll have no problem leaving PlanetSide behind as soon as something that equals it comes out. There really isn't anything on the horizon yet though, expect that "Titan" project that Blizzard is working on, but there is literally no information on it other than it will be a sci-fi MMOFPS. Until a better choice than PlanetSide 1 comes onto the table, I'll keep trying to contact SOE and get through to them. It doesn't really take all that much effort.

To be blunt, at this point, if i could do it and if it's possible, i would just reverse engineer the fucking thing and make my own planetside. Sure, SOE could get your bum for this, but as we have established, they don't give a fuck. And if they do you have a wonderful story and boatloads of horrible PR for SOE to boot. So fuck these guys, just make your own PS1.
We could just change the names of the factions, weapons, bases, etc, change all the lore, and change the skins/textures. I would be hella down to hop into a project like this if there were enough experienced coders that could make it happen. But I'm not sure who has the time, and who also has enough of an interest in PS to want to dedicate themselves to it.

Still wondering the SWG emulator got started, though. I wonder if SOE endorsed it or what? And how the hell did they get around LucasArts?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion