PSU: Quote me happy!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-04-29, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Monitors

First off, before the LCD vs. CRT debates even start, I'll end it here, this is a thread for CRT monitors.

With that said, what are some good brands everyone has liked? I personally have used a lot of ViewSonics, and my next monitor will most likely be a ViewSonic. How about everyone else?
Old 2003-04-29, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

I have a samsung syncmastter 955df 19''. Love it. Can't really compare it to anything else new, I've had it for quite a few years. I know they're still making them though, would be a good cheap one I bet.
Old 2003-04-29, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, it's basically going to come down to what I find (since it will most likely be at a computer show when I get a new monitor). Basically I am looking for a 19" that is 115kHz or higher, that I can hopefully snag for around $200. Also, it should be flat CRT if possible. I have no idea what monitors I will be able to find, so I am going to probably have to rely on brand name reliability rather then look for a specific monitor.
Old 2003-04-30, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
CDL Full Otto
Private

I have a Hitachi 21" currently (a few years old) good clean picture.

I also liked the Diamond scan monitors (think Mitsubishi makes them)

Any Trinitron monitor is usually top notch (if you don't mind the slight dual lines in the middle when your doing a white background)

I also use a Viewsonic at work, 21" and don't have any problems with it.

Otto

Spit some lead - make them dead
Old 2003-04-30, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Mitsubishi and Sony = Trinitron (Sony rips from Mitsubishi) monitors.

Both are really good. I currenlty have a MAGview 17" and it works fine for me. No killer refresh rates (I have mine at 75 right now) but it's stable.

I was looking into getting a nice 19" monitor. Thanks for the suggestion on the Samsung.

Found it here For under $200 shipped from Texas

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread

Last edited by Sentrosi; 2003-04-30 at 10:58 AM.
Old 2003-04-30, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Mitsubishi highend is actually Diamondtron. Much Much better than trin's. They are expensive though. The 22" can be $500-$650 range. Not sure about a 19" but this is a site I found a while back.

http://www.iiyama.com/

They use a Diamondtron tube in their 19" Vision Master Pro. They can supposedly hit some INCREDIBLE refresh rates on their monitors which is why I originally dug info up on them a while back.

I'm currently using a HP 21" that has a rather good tube, not sure exactly what but its been picture perfect for a 4+ years now. Just waiting for LCD's to improve and continue to drop in price. However, have ppl seen the new Apple 23" Wide screen display? They are setup at most CompUsa's. They are FREAKING incredible and they now sell adapaters to DVI for use on PC. Problem is they cost $2000,00. DAMN
Old 2003-04-30, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Revelation
Private

I just picked up a Viewsonic A90f+ from best buy, came out to like 225$ after rebate.

19" CRT, great color, and is a really nice monitor, Gray/Black case. Took a while to get screen set up properly, but after that everything has been smooth.

Or if you want to go nuts, pick up a 22" LaCie Electron22BlueIII, I use one for my graphics machine, it's insane, but around 800$.
Old 2003-04-30, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Kiwi is a poor, starving (ok, not starving, but I do eat a lot) college student. I am half upgrading my computer over the next month (new vid card, monitor, and mobo), and probably doing another half in about 4-6 months (processor, more RAM, maybe a serial ATA HD or switch to RAID). Right now I have about $520 allotted to a vid card and Monitor upgrade. The vidcard WILL be a 9700 Pro, but I might get an All-In-Wonder (always liked them). So whatever is left over out of that $520, which I guestimated at $200, goes to the Monitor
Old 2003-04-30, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

I picked up the ViewSonic p90f http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_p90f.htm awhile back and I love that thing to death, if I ever get some room on my desk I'll probably pick another up for dual monitor use.

I have a g90f at work and that thing is also very sweet, it runs around $200 I think.
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_g90f.htm
Old 2003-04-30, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

The p90f is just the monitor I am looking for. Hopefully I can find it at the computer show, since paying shipping on a monitor makes it hard to find a great deal.
Old 2003-04-30, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

I never knew that Best Buy carried ViewSonic, but I saw the e90f at one a few months ago for a really good price. Might be worth checking out if there is one near you.
Old 2003-04-30, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
JonnyK
Major

i've been looking at that samsung 955df for a while even before i saw this thread, do you guys know of anywhere that would have free shipping and carry this monitor? i'd hate to pay 50$ on top of the 200 if i can't find it somewhere like best buy. but about the place someone found that had it for 150, i looked at it, is that place dependable? i've never heard of it but if it's good then i'll be ordering that in the next month f0 sure
Old 2003-04-30, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

$200, No Shipping
$210, No Shipping
Cheapest overall for me, but may be different for you
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum