We should be able to control 2 man tanks by ourselves - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's the best site on the net
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-12, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
TekDragon
Contributor

But, as far as the game goes, I think they want to use the boring part of being the driver as a method of keeping tanks rare, without neutering them in power.

Seriously though. Its balanced. I can tell you without even being in Beta that its balanced. Having everyone with 3 spare certs able to pilot and gun a heavy tank with minimul effort would totally defeat the power of the game.

As it stands i think the driver should have LESS potential to kill, as im hearing a LOT of complaints of people running into battlefeilds at 70kph and running people over like bowling pins.

Only thing i believe should be added is a sharing of exp with the other (gunning) passengers.

Pilots should get exp for gunner kills. And gunner A should get some exp from gunner B's kills. Passengers dont get anything, but they can hop out and shoot something if they want some exp.
Old 2003-05-12, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Harps
First Sergeant

the only reason why 1 man tanks work in bf1942 is because the tanks are limited there can only be a certain amount of tanks on the field which works great they are very feared. Im not saying this is what they should do in PS, i think it should stay a 2 man vehicle just so it stays a rare event when a tanks coming rolling into a battle, i dont want a war with 50 tanks rolling around and i think this will happen if it is a 1 man tank
Old 2003-05-12, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
CptRugged
Private

If you could switch it still wouldn't be Tank Wars.. why? Tanks can't cap bases. They can't go down hallways, up stairs or hotdrop from a Gal.. lighting excluded.

Really the tanks are rare not because of the two man thing. Its because theres really no room for bombardment in this game. Bombarding a base or tower doesn't work cause you'll be hitting too many friendly's rushing in. I constantly see those guys who park thier tanks at the tower doors shootinging in getting cussed out. The other thing is that theres usually not that much room to move around outside a base for a heavy tank.. trees, ridges, and other obstructions just don't give them enough room to roll around the field. And usually if you finally are able to roll around the reaver or the 5 guys with AV take you down when you're even in sight of a large battle.

Most people will say, oh yeah, saw to Vanguards holding this bridge it was awesome! Yeah, bridges are about the only places the tanks really excel IMO.. but who worries about bridges when you just catch the Gal over them...
Old 2003-05-12, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Jarlo
Second Lieutenant

I get plenty of action with my tanks, often 10 to 1 kill ratio. The key is to know where the enemy is coming from then get them as they try to run to the spawn action.
Old 2003-05-12, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Chanfan
Staff Sergeant

Tanks should stay multiple person vehicles, in my opinion. The name of the game here is teamwork. Why would someone spend a cert, and only be able to drive? Because it helps your team.

However, it is true that it can be boring - I do find myself sometimes hopping into an outfit mates tank, just to get a chance to gun every once in a while.

I like the concept on the Magrider - having the secondary gun available to the driver. Something lower power, perhaps with a limited arc - but something.

And if you are whining about your NC two person tank, be glad you aren't TR - you get to drive, try and find someone to gun your main gun - which is smaller than the NC's - and then try and find that rare person who's willing to man the wimpy 12mm chain-gun.

I will admit, the one advantage to the TR tanks is they can be used as a form of transportation that way.

And Magriders do need to get fixed - it's sad that their most effective weapon is the bumper.
Old 2003-05-12, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Someone in another thread (I forget who or which) nailed it when they said that one man is less than the smallest unit in planetside. Plain and simple, this game is about the squad. If you are in a good squad, you will dominate and have great fun. If you are in a bad squad, you will be dominated and have great misery. You may choose not to be in a squad, but you are sacrificing 9/10ths of your unit and even the bad squads will beat you down most of the time. The same holds even truer for a vehicle. A tank is effective as the sum of its driver and gunner(s). It is much less effective when undercrewed and that is the way it should be.

It does suck for the individual who wants to drive and gun his heavy tank, but the game doesn't care because you are only half of a tank anyway. This game is unique not only because it is the first well-implemented MMOFPS, but also because it is the first game that dares to say that you alone do not count for much.

Planetside will never be about the individual, and if you don't think it is worth only driving the tank, you shouldn't buy the tank cert. Or like others have said, stick with the lightning. You still won't be very effective without the support of a squad (or your friendly local Zergfest).
Old 2003-05-12, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hamma
PSU Admin

Nice sig airlift.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-05-12, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

thanks. I've been hating my sig for a while, because I don't have a single air vehicle cert since the reset
Old 2003-05-12, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Angelos
First Sergeant

Lol you must have done what I did Air. I loved being a reaver pilot but I haven't flown since last reset either. Does anyone else find it soothing to run people over in ants?
Old 2003-05-12, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Never ran anyone over with an ANT, but this past weekend I flattened a MAX and a grunt who were running too close together in the path of my AMS.

Before I played, I was all about being a Galaxy pilot (hence the nick Airlift), but when I got in, I noticed that there are three shit-tons of Galaxy pilots trying to get into squads most of the time. I've flown all the aircraft in the game, but I ended up liking vehicles more and infantry most.
Old 2003-05-12, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Angelos
First Sergeant

Actually it seems like the number of gal pilots dropped significantly since the last reset. I hardly see any galaxies anymore. I usually just drive my ANT around. Being able to go only 45kph kinda sucks, but it's also free exp when you stop into bases, reloading the NTU's and all. Going from 0% to 90% NTU is a crap load of exp.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion