Planetside 2 Weapon looting!!! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where manlove is encouraged
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-14, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Re: Planetside 2 Weapon looting!!!

Originally Posted by Neksar View Post
So... anyone else laughing at this whole thread?

It's not what you think, I swear! I'm all for looting and such, though it'd have to be either entire kits (armor included) or only weapons one could use within their armor set. It's just... A thread about looting. Started by Magpie. The joke writes itself.

No offense intended, I just thought it was an amusing coincidence.
hahaha sorry i steal your gold and sliver and eat your eggs
Old 2012-02-14, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Akemo
Corporal

Originally Posted by Neksar View Post
A thread about looting. Started by Magpie.
I don't get it

Wait.. Magpie... looting... AHAHAHAHA
Old 2012-02-14, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Lord Cosine
Corporal

I really enjoyed the scavenging mechanic in PS1, I actually looted just as many allies as enemies. Though I don't think it would be quite the same without the RE4 Inventory system.

Looting ammo was my personal favorite aspect of the system. I could sustain myself in the field for long periods of time by refueling my pulsar/medapp/gluegun from my fallen comrade's bodies.

Perhaps one option would be to allow players to press 'E' on discarded weapons in the field, and if that weapon shared an ammo type to their equipped weapon then they would fill up the clip of their weapon with the discarded ammo.

However then they would need to leave weapons in the field with longer despawn timers which might not be good.

Perhaps they could go back to a little backpack, but with a specific looting ui that would allow you to swap weapons of the same type and steal ammo.

I would like to see looting return but I'm not certain how to make it work well, anyone else have any ideas?
Old 2012-02-14, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SKYeXile
Major General

called the hoax before I even opened the tread, even knew what picture was going to be linked, clearly been here too long.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-02-14, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
called the hoax before I even opened the tread, even knew what picture was going to be linked, clearly been here too long.

^^
Old 2012-02-14, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
that´s too easy. just look who posted it.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-02-14, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Shotokanguy
Corporal

I'm kind of worried about how paranoid they seem to be about balance.

Things like not letting players with jump packs have sniper rifles...are they really going to be able to reach places that make them unkillable?

An example in this topic of a player jumping into the sky with a rocket launcher was mentioned, and that sounds like something they wouldn't allow either. But it can be a fine line between balancing the game and making the game not fun.
Old 2012-02-14, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Shotokanguy View Post
I'm kind of worried about how paranoid they seem to be about balance.

Things like not letting players with jump packs have sniper rifles...are they really going to be able to reach places that make them unkillable?

An example in this topic of a player jumping into the sky with a rocket launcher was mentioned, and that sounds like something they wouldn't allow either. But it can be a fine line between balancing the game and making the game not fun.
Yeah you and me both. It certainly gives one pause.

If a jump troop with a sniper rifle is giving you too much trouble, send up a gunship or ES Fighter to take him out. Or hell, OS the damn perch. Problem solved.

I'm worried that they may be pigeon-holing us into roles that are too limiting, and it'll remove too much of the ingenuity in gameplay. Two of the most powerful individual tactics in PS1 - Mossie dropping and Surgile - were invented by players who used resources in ways the Devs hadn't thought of. And both tactics fundamentally changed how the game was played. Love 'em or hate 'em, the point is that they were player-created tactics. Is such ingenuity going to be as available in PS2?
Old 2012-02-14, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
Higgles has already addressed that particular picture.

He said that the Devs put in whatever weapons they want, and that no looting is still the law of the land no matter what you see in the screenie.
exactly
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-02-15, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

The inventory system and the looting system was perfect, the back pack system dropped when killed and looted by anyone friend or foe was perfect, being prevented from using weapons that you where not certed in i.e trained to use mostly perfect oh tho I would like you to be able to use them but make then aim like crap because you are not used to using them just like using a weapon you are not trained on in real life is very awkward. WHY the hell are they changing this, now i have some thing else to be upset about along with making drivers gun.....Oh well now I know another thing us PS vets are going to have to yell at the devs tell they change it BACK to the right way and the way the way they had it before. This did not unbalance the game at all there was many balance problems with BFR's but not this I have never head of such a thing. YES to backpacks and YES to guns/ammo/equipment loot and Yes to trucks in vehicles and MAXs and lockers.

Last edited by Livefire; 2012-02-15 at 03:27 AM.
Old 2012-02-15, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
TekDragon
Contributor

As someone who played a lot of support, it's disappointing that I will no longer be able to pick up med/engy juice from the fallen :/
Old 2012-02-15, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
goneglockin
Sergeant

It would seem to me that a F2P/Microtransaction game would not want you to be able grab whatever guns drop on the ground, otherwise how are they going to get paid, son?
Old 2012-02-15, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Shotokanguy View Post
IThings like not letting players with jump packs have sniper rifles...are they really going to be able to reach places that make them unkillable?
If you're planning to snipe you really don't need such an offensive ability. Tree sniping can be done by pulling a plane and bailing onto a tree in Planetside 2. Same for getting up on top of the canyon walls. It should take some effort to get into a nice sniping spot probably. I remember some trees in Planetside 1. You'd drop onto them and no one could see you and you'd have a field day. If I could just rocket jump into them and hide it would have been much cheaper.

Also we don't need weapon looting. As mentioned, balance is a problem with upgrades and ES weapons shouldn't have to be balanced against their own vehicles. Even looting stock weapons of another empire could be unbalanced since it might not be for your class and if it is then it could be an ES upgrade essentially. That is the NC sniper rifle is the strongest. The VS has some other one that can be sidegraded to be similar to the NC one. Suddenly you just picked up a rifle that unbalanced in the grand scheme of things for your empire. Especially if we have implants that are ES. Mixing them with such weapons might have unintended consequences.

Then again if you look at my old posts I said they should have went with no ES weapons or vehicles this time around instead focusing on tons of unique weapons and vehicles since creating one thing in the game requires them to make 3 mutually exclusive things for ES types of weapons and vehicles which destroys rapid F2P content creation. Just look at what they're planning to release with 7 vehicles essentially.

Originally Posted by TekDragon View Post
As someone who played a lot of support, it's disappointing that I will no longer be able to pick up med/engy juice from the fallen :/
Getting generic ammo and other supplies when an enemy dies is different than looting a weapon or vehicle.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-02-15 at 09:54 PM.
Old 2012-02-16, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Shakrah
Private

Not allowing weapon looting removes one of the signature actions in PS, wrong turn they take.
All the reasoning with balance / microtransactions just taints the game premises. Not massive but just a step backward :S
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion