Char progression: Beta > Live - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where PlanetSide > Real Life
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should beta testers keep their progression after launch?
Yes, allow progression to carry over to Live 19 14.73%
No, everyone should start from square one come launch 110 85.27%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-02-17, 03:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: Char progression: Beta > Live

What APB did was when they tested the cash shop in beta was that they gave this 100% refund promo, but it wasnt refunded in money, but in points. But not just that, you could keep what you had bought. It was especially handy to buy the premium at that time, cos it persisted over the wipes.

So, I put in 50€, bought myself like 6+ months of premium, got 50€ worth of G1 points refunded, which I then slowly used as they added new stuff in it.

So that's what might happen, refund of station cash, most likely not as money.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-02-17, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Mirror
First Sergeant

the poll seems a little one sided.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-02-17, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Coreldan
Colonel

I havnt voted cos the options are too black and white. Do I want progression to carry over? Not really. Do I want everyone to start from square one at live? Not totally necessary either. Do I mind something carrying over? No, some stuff like visual things and cash shop items I dont mind carrying over.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-02-17, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Kaotc
Corporal

the issue i see is: are they going to have an official launch, or do a soft launch from beta to live.

if it is the former, then a reset is very likley.
if it is the latter, then a reset is very unlikley.

given the game is Free 2 Play, i cannot see them pulling the game offline, and then going for a 'launch'
Old 2012-02-17, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Though I would be in such a pain to see my character wiped, I understand that giving an unfair "beta participation" advantage gives nothing, but bad publicity. Plus there may be some exploits and bugs in beta that may boost your leveling.

I can only suggest making first stages of beta a general bugfinding/balancing stage, so every created character starts at maximum level. Then after the first wipe you can remove the max-level char creation to test character progression and start solving some more delicate issues. Personally I don't understand why nobody makes it like that, though it's far more efficient.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-02-17, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
SpLiTNuTz
Corporal

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Just names.
^
Old 2012-02-17, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Wow, the things people ask for.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-02-17, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Wow, the things people ask for.
Shy bairns get nowt
Old 2012-02-17, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Shogun
Contributor
General

did soe ever give a statement about selling stuff during beta? have they done so in other betas?
i did some betas who sold stuff and they all did softlaunches ant took everything over into fullgame. some other betas gave out virtual shopmoney during beta to test the shop. those betas tend to wipe at launch.
so if ps2 sells things and only grants the normal way of ingame advancement without magical testing levelups, i see no problem with keeping the chars. after all every empire would get their share of beta players, so there is no unfair advantage. you don´t wipe all players everytime someone new comes to the game, so why do it with the testers?

it´s another thing if during beta there are skillterminals where we can draw skills and certs for free, like the skill-frogs during starwars galaxies jtl beta.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-02-17, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

I'm still greatly amused by the ignorance of people on betas. Open betas are now publicity stunts people. Sure, there WILL be some adjustments and tweaks to features here and there, but that WILL happen long after release too. Do we completely wipe everything then as well? No. If everyone starts clean upon open betas start, the only people late comers have to blame are themselves. Again, we're not going to wipe everyone's progress every month so the new guys can play on precisely even footing, right?

Too many people aren't thinking this through. They're just going "it's beta, so it should wipe!" while assuming some magical fix-all patch will release just prior to launch that completely balances the game and fixes all bugs.

It doesn't work like that. Ever.

SOE probably already has their minds set on how they'll handle OB > release however. We'll see what they do when the time comes, just brace yourselves for OB > release to feel no different from one day to the next.

EDIT: To add, a wipe makes sense if they intentionally buff training times, but I'd bet that would be a closed beta thing. Can't get any more open for a closed beta when the only requirement to getting in is buying a magazine off a news stand, or like with TERA's case, simply pre-ordering the game.

Last edited by EASyEightyEight; 2012-02-17 at 04:41 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion