The real problem with the NC MAX - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If two gay guys go out, who pays??
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-02-19, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
almalino
First Sergeant

Re: The real problem with the NC MAX

The real problem with NC MAX is that I could not spawn it 2 days in a row during weekend play on Miller playing NC. I never had enough resources for that.

Any ideas why is that?
Old 2014-02-19, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by War Barney View Post
I really don't know where this made up math is coming from but my guns don't fire that fast.. the full auto hacksaw might but the non auto MAX shotguns sure as hell dont.
http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/AF-34_Mattock - which is current as of PU2 so that means NC max weapons are still the same. Look at the in game tooltips and everything matches except they have chamber time in game instead of RPM. I'm going to go with SOE being off on the tooltip in game because they are in other areas and are still missing vital information.

The old Google doc that hasn't been updated since November 2012 has the same RPMs as the Wikia. I seriously doubt the wikia is wrong.

Hacksaws are listed at 209RPM and 125 damage per shot.. so in CQC hacksaws are even more damage output than mattocks.

Using the mattock as my example which comes in at 180 RPM which is 3 shots per second. 60 X 3 = 180. That is simple math. Each shot puts 6 pellets down range at a maximum of 112 damage (for the mattock which is the lowest starting damage). 6 X 112 = 672.. but that is for 1 mattock.. not 2. So double the figures. 3 shots per second at 1,344 damage per shot or 1,344 damage every .33 seconds.. because 33 is 1/3 of 1. So you already did enough damage to kill someone in the first click of your mouse.. but a mere .33 seconds later you can double that damage to 2,688 damage.

TR's highest fire rate chaingun is 492RPM. 492RPM is 8.2 shots per second. Each bullet is 125 at max damage. Sounds like a good start right? No, wrong. Fail. So 8 shots per second is 1,000 damage. Since you have 2 chainguns you can divide the shots needed to kill by half. 8 shots in .5 seconds to hit 1,000 damage.

So it takes TR chainguns at the fastest fire rate .5 seconds to do 1,000 damage while in the same time frame you can pump out 2,688 damage with mattocks. Like I said.. hacksaws are even more damage in a shorter time frame. Hence why everyone feels NC maxes have too much burst damage for close quarters.

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Page 1, post 2.

Im 100% in favor of giving all MAXes NS weapon versions of a HMG and shotgun.

Hell, if this was PS1. Id be one of those guys that would setup meetings with another faction to trade weapons and ammo. Shame MAXes couldn't do that, but that's another game and another topic.

Im also not a fan of your idea of counting pellets the same as a bullet. Pellets have at least an additional spread of 2.5 to 4 added to the weapons base COF. When fisting someone that isn't going to make a damn but that spread is a major point as to why shotguns don't have range.

You fire 6 pellets at a time and you have no say to where they land. Could land hits with them all, could whiff with every one. Even within 10m if you don't aim center mass you have odds of whiffing or just landing 1-3 pellets. Get a speedy little fuck around you that is clipping into you as well, and you could even whiff an entire mag and not kill. Iv done that to MAXes and had that done to me.

Then you have damage values of pellets next to bullets. Pellets have 112-130 damage at most and start dropping at 8m-10m to a measly 45-75 at just 18m, Mattocks take their 70 to 30m. The damage in 3 out of the 4 weapons drop to 1/3 of what they start at within 10m. That's WELL under the size of a normal room and just longer than a hallway is wide in this game. So 3 out of the 4 NC MAX AI weapons have problems just going from one room to another. At least Mattocks keep most of their base damage while going across a room.

Add the pellet spread to the massive damage drop and you have something that can be countered by walking backwards 2-3 steps. Just getting from a spawn room to the cap point in most outposts is hell as a NC AI MAX. So much open ground that you have to hide from or be chipped away before being able to return that favor.
You can't AIM chainguns any better than a shotgun. You can't ADS with a max gun. At least with the Heavy MCG you have a spread indicator to know roughly how wide your shots are going and max chainguns still have bloom like all other weapons on full auto. So the spread is just as valid in the debate... so yea, I will count each pellet as a bullet because it counts the same. Potential damage is potential damage.

The damage drop off is made up by the fact that you can fire .33 seconds after each shot. With each shot putting 12 bullets down range. You will have to be in medium range for TR to start to get an advantage and that still doesn't make up for the fact that it takes TR chainguns a minium of .5 seconds to kill a player without over shields without missing.. because you will miss.. you can't ADS and TR chainguns have bloom too.

How did SOE attempt to balance this? Oh yea, we will give NC longer reloads and TR can have larger ammo pools with higher fire rates.. because you know that all balances out right?

Also you left out that NC maxes are shields that they DO use to absorb damage that would have hit them. VS's ability makes them take more damage while they dish out damage.. so they aren't going to use that to cover ground. TR have lockdown... which is the exact opposite of moving forward. That is standing completely still and taking all the damage without a damage shield. So excuse me while I cry for any NC maxes harmed while making it from the spawn from to a building.

Last edited by Dragonskin; 2014-02-19 at 12:22 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 2014-02-19, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
War Barney
Sergeant Major

<sigh> ok time to just ignore you dragon, as I said I've already tested it ingame and the time it takes to kill infantry with a VS/TR MAX is under a second so your entire argument is completely and totally wrong. you obviously are just terrified of a NC MAX that is capable of doing anything.

As we've said we are fine with a NS shotgun as well, hell if you like have a NS shotgun that is 2x better than any NC shotgun currently available, it'll still be useless in so many situations unless they make it better by tripling its range that nobody will use it.
Old 2014-02-20, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
mrmrmrj
Sergeant

All MAX AI options should be full auto like all TR and VS AI MAX weapons.
Old 2014-02-20, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Even full auto a shotgun is still a shotgun, it'll still only have a 5m range making it all but useless unless you get near enough point blank range. And of course they'd need either double or triple the magazine size OR about 2-3x faster reload to make them viable. The easiest option would just be to give us a HMG option.

I don't get why soe don't just do this, VS and TR whine non stop that shotgun MAX is OP and they wanted it nerfed and all we keep asking for is a HMG option while giving the VS and TR a shotgun option. If they think its so OP why don't they support us asking for this and get themself that OP shotgun MAX? unless they know shotguns are useless and actually just don't want our MAX to ever be useful... nah that can't be it, must be some other reason they are so set against getting shotguns for their MAXs
Old 2014-02-20, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
VikingKong
Sergeant

You can petition for new guns all you want, but calling our current MAX useless is just silly.
https://www.planetside2.com/players/...0497/killboard
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?
Old 2014-02-20, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Its not really, while its not totally useles it is pretty useless, I'm guessing most of those kills were in a biolab or while part of a zerg so you didn't have anybody to really challenge you. One list of kills by playing nothing but a MAX for a while doesn't prove anything, if you had played another other class most likely you'd have got a LOT more kills and a VS/TR MAX would have got many many more.
Old 2014-02-20, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by almalino View Post
The real problem with NC MAX is that I could not spawn it 2 days in a row during weekend play on Miller playing NC. I never had enough resources for that.

Any ideas why is that?
Think the f**ked up resource system only applies to NC maxes?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion