What coms will we all be using in PS2? (ie TeamSpeak) - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Damn Communist
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-30, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #121
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Voice communication in PS2

Having ability to tell your random lib gunner to OMGSHOOTLEFTSTOPLOOKINGRIGHT without having to use chat is a good thing imo.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-01-30, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #122
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Having ability to tell your random lib gunner to OMGSHOOTLEFTSTOPLOOKINGRIGHT without having to use chat is a good thing imo.
This.

PS1 lacked some easy-to-use way of communicating with random people.

I can't count the number of times I've been annoyed by my vany or BFR gunner focusing on minor targets (or not seeing anything) when there was bigger threats not far away.
Old 2012-01-30, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #123
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

Planetside 1 did have built in voice chat. However, it lagged everyone so hard that no one ever used it.

I think the way PS2 seems to handle voice chat is good. I don't think its meant necessarily to completely replace third party programs, but unless your outfit can boast 100% outfit squads, I think it would be a mistake to not make use of in game voice. There are inevitably gonna be randoms in any squad.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-01-30, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #124
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
fair enough, even I didnt know about it! Mainly cos I disabled back when RTW had the game and im 99% sure it didnt have that setting back then. I just sorta disabled the thing by habit when G1 took over.

But even then, the biggest problem is that by default you have 1) voice activation 2) broadcasting to enemies.

Immersion? I guess (if Johnny97 argueing with his mom is immersive from a bad ass thug). Good for gameplay? No.

Hell, they even implemented auto-ready into that game cos according to their statistics alot of people didnt know how the ready up (it even says on the screen like "press K to ready"), what do you expect from your usual F2P player? They certainly wont have the head to tweak all those settings!
DCUO was actually the first product to use Vivox's "proximity chat" which raises and lowers volume based on distance. We did find that most folks preferred to have it off as default. The group chat channels (raiding and leagues) have become so integral that most people find it impossible to play anything serious without. I think you'll find PlanetSide 2 will provide functionality and ease of use.
Old 2012-01-30, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #125
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
DCUO was actually the first product to use Vivox's "proximity chat" which raises and lowers volume based on distance. We did find that most folks preferred to have it off as default. The group chat channels (raiding and leagues) have become so integral that most people find it impossible to play anything serious without. I think you'll find PlanetSide 2 will provide functionality and ease of use.
Then I feel you guys are on the right tracks

Generally from a online shooter perspective, I feel extremely lacking/lost if the game doesnt have a functioning VoiP built in. Even if it wouldn't be my main channel of communication during clan/outfit play, it still plays a major role. BF3 just made me feel like punching something when there was no VoiP built into it. As for other recent shooter I played, RO2 had built in voip (although it took long before it started working properly) it was still a big help in comparison to not having it in BF3. Also Ive played ARMAII lately online, and it's godsend there too since Ive preferred those Insurgency gamemode maps. During smaller scrims with friends we've just used "our" mumbles/TS/whatevers

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-01-30 at 09:54 AM.
Old 2012-01-30, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #126
Baron
First Sergeant

ahhhh RadarX. That was my first mecha in the Robotech RPG (Palladium Books)....

pew pew
Old 2012-01-30, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #127
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

It's gotta be some pretty impressive software to pull people off of TeamSpeak and Vent
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-01-30, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #128
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
It's gotta be some pretty impressive software to pull people off of TeamSpeak and Vent
Vivox isn't going to wow you with brand new features. It's going to do exactly what we all used to in TS and Vent but will have a UI in game to support it. It's about convenience and accessibility.
Old 2012-01-30, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #129
Coreldan
Colonel

And IMO theres no need to even attempt replacing TS/Vent/Mumble with Vivox and it wont even happen cos most clans want to have the VoiP available even outside the game.

They can live perfectly in a symbiose, no need to be just either system. I will use TS3 to communicate with my clan/outfit but I will really appreciate a working in-game VoiP to reach those randoms when necessary.

Old 2012-01-30, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #130
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Vivox isn't going to wow you with brand new features. It's going to do exactly what we all used to in TS and Vent but will have a UI in game to support it. It's about convenience and accessibility.
If you deliver the functionality to connect from outside of the game, then you may replace TS3 etc for a bunch of guys.
Old 2012-01-30, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by basti View Post
If you deliver the functionality to connect from outside of the game, then you may replace TS3 etc for a bunch of guys.
Sounds.. exploitable

Why pay for mumble/TS/Vent servers when you can just make an account on PS2 to get a free VoiP server?

And that is probably more down to Vivox than SoE

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-01-30 at 12:18 PM.
Old 2012-01-30, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: What coms will we all be using in PS2? (ie TeamSpeak)

i am playing startrek online while waiting for ps2 beta and since the voicechat there freaked me out totally, i have a question about the ps2 vivox:

will it be part of the cash shop?

in sto freeplayers can use the voicechat but will be annoyed every few minutes with spoken ads!
it´s just a "this voicechat is brought to you by Q" or whatever, but it totally disqualifies the voicechat for freeplayers and if planetside 2 does something similar the voicechat will not be used at all, because outfits would rather use the established systems to include all players - paying and free players. and any ads that interrupt chatsessions will lead to fast deactivation.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-01-30, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
Coreldan
Colonel

APB had/has the same voice ads, but only like upon district switch (so basically during loading screen) and only like once per login or something. Basically nothing too bad. In the original RTW you could "buy off" the voice ads, but they also stopped happening if you just disabled the VoiP, like I did for many reasons other than the ads.

Old 2012-01-30, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

The main reason that people use Teamspeak/Vent/Mumble over ingame voice is because they can interact with people without being in game. You can see if people are online, you can play other games with your outfit buddies, and you gracefully crash and still coordinate a battle or inform other people that you are LD.

That being said, Ingame voip is going to be amazing for screaming at pubbies.
Old 2012-01-30, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
Reginald
Private

Hopefully it has push to talk, and is not restricted to voice activation only.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion